Thursday, July 7, 2016

Peeking into Pools

Sixth Grade Graduation Homily

          Let me ask you a question: Who are you? Do you know yourself very well? You’ve learned math and multiplying, science and sports, religion and robotics. But have you learned who that face belongs to that stares back at you in the mirror every morning when you brush your teeth? Who are you?  Archbishop Fulton Sheen, a great Catholic bishop in the last century, said that everyone sees their own reflection in three different pools of water. The first pool we look into shows us what we think about ourselves (our own opinions about ourselves); the second pool reflects what the world thinks about us (our family, our friends, our newspaper clippings); the third pool shows us what God thinks about us. Now, the funny thing is that the images in those three pools can be so dramatically different! What we think about ourselves is not what others think of us, and that can be a far cry from what God thinks of us. Boys and girls, the truly wise man or woman knows which pool he or she stares into when they answer the awesome of all questions, “Who am I?” Today I’d like to give you a glimpse into each of those pools, and don’t worry, I won’t throw you in! 
          In the first pool, we see ourselves as we think we are. In the IC Student Newspaper, the May 2016 issue, our graduates answered the question, “Where do you see yourself in 20 years?” Their answers ranged from the serious to the silly, from the sentimental to the spiritual. Here are a few of their responses. Will Reynolds said, “I see myself as a lawyer.” I wonder where he got that idea? Karina Juarez was more philosophical, so she said: “Where I see myself in 20 years is a hard question. I see myself as the 1st girl president, unless Hilary Clinton beats me to it. If I only serve for 4 years, I might start my own comic or cartoon.” I’m glad you’re keeping your options open, Karina. Payton Leding is going to be a multitasker, because she said: “I see myself as a mom of 3, as a famous architect, and a snowboarder living in Colorado.” That should be a piece of cake for Payton.
          Adolfo Barroso said, “I see myself as a professional soccer player playing for Real Madrid.” Blake Farmer was more open-minded about his sporty future, saying, “I see myself as a pro sports player in twenty years.” He’ll be happy with any insanely high-paying sports job. Trinity Beshears had a unique reply, saying, “I see myself owning a fashion line and designing clothes in Hollywood.” What’s wrong with the style of clothing we wear in Fort Smith, just because we walk around without a shirt on? We got style. Thomas Farrell said, “I want to be a chef. At my home, my mother makes me breakfast, packs me lunches and cooks me dinner, but when I grow up, I want people to have even better food than my mother makes.” That’s not easy to do, Thomas; no body cooks better than momma. Emma VanHersh said sentimentally: “I see myself as being a famous trainer, famous barrel racer, and a famous horse and dog breeder. I still intend on being friends with my best friends from elementary school.” Boys and girls, I hope you will always remain friends with each other. Everyone’s answers were great, and I am sorry I cannot mention them all. I just wanted to give you a glimpse of what you see when you look into that first pool of water: this is what you think about yourself. But you see, that’s only part of who you are, that’s not the whole picture.
          Now, let’s take a peek into the second pool, and see what others think about us. Mrs. Ann Hill was just glowing about the many achievements and awards the sixth graders have won. For example, they placed first in their division at the city-wide track meet, several teams won awards at the STEM competition in Waldron, as well as being winners in Art competitions, and we’re especially proud of the students who received the Covenant Awards last week.  Mrs. Waynick had more specific comments. She said, “Austin and Julian are brilliant. They will accomplish whatever their hearts desire. Liam Baker might be a college history professor; he loves history and is extremely talented in that field.” She went on: “Grecia Gonzalez needs to work in a library. She had about 10 times the number of AR points as the average 5th grader last year. Clara Gramlich always knows the details of the day (she’s very observant). Marvin Chindasack is very quietly hilarious. He is also very fast at running. Sixth grade choristers were tremendous this year. They were dedicated and talented.” Finally, she said, “This is the class a teacher waits for. They are responsible, personable, dedicated, and a joy in the classroom.” Now, boys and girls, did you notice how differently other people see you than how you see yourself? That’s why you should also stop to peek into this second pool – that is also a part of who you are. But that’s still not the whole picture.
          We should also take a look into the third pool, and behold how God sees us. The best place to see ourselves in that third pool is by reading the Bible. You see, the Bible tells us not only who God is, but it also tells us who we are. In today’s gospel, Jesus thanks God for his disciples, and says, “Father, they are your gift to me.” So, how does Jesus see each of you? You are a gift, a precious friend of his. Boys and girls, I want you to always remember that: you are a precious friend of Jesus, a gift of God. No matter what other people may think of you (sometimes people don’t think highly of us), and no matter even what you may think of yourself (sometimes we can be hard on ourselves), know that Jesus thinks you are a gift. Boys and girls, some day you may forget the math and science you learned here, or someday you might not be able to play the piano or do cartwheels, but never forget that you are a gift of God, a precious friend of Jesus. Never forget that; because that is the most important lesson we can teach you; that is most important lesson you can ever learn.
          C. S. Lewis, a great Christian writer of the last century, once said: “I read in a periodical the other day that the fundamental thing is how we think of God. By God Himself, it is not! How God thinks of us is not only more important, but infinitely more important” (C. S. Lewis, essay, “The Weight of Glory”). There are three pools we all peek into whenever we try to answer that age-old question, “Who am I?” The answer you find in the third pool is not only more important, it is infinitely more important.

          Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment