Friday, July 29, 2016

Game of Thrones

Learning to love and lean on our angels  
Isaiah 6:1-8  
In the year King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a high and lofty throne, with the train of his garment filling the temple. Seraphim were stationed above; each of them had six wings: with two they veiled their faces, with two they veiled their feet, and with two they hovered aloft. Then I said, “Woe is me, I am doomed! For I am a man of unclean lips, living among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!” Then one of the seraphim flew to me, holding an ember that he had taken with tongs from the altar.   
          Do you believe in angels? Some people believe angels are just imaginary stories to help small children overcome their childish fears. Well, let me tell you, I am one of those children who needs angels to overcome my fears! I am convinced my guardian angel helps me to live a more happy and holy life. For example, my angel reminds me to leave the last bite of dessert for Elijah, he tells me to stop at two beers, he nudges me when I am falling asleep driving, he wakes me up at 4:30 a.m. to write my daily homily: he’s my angelic alarm.  In other words, with my angel to help me, I feel no fear.
          Catholic theology distinguishes 9 ranks, or “choirs of angels,” and these are mentioned frequently throughout the Mass, especially in the Preface. The highest rank of angels is called “Seraphim” which means “burning ones.” They are literally exploding with the fire of God’s burning love. The second are the “Cherubim” not to be confused with the little chubby cherubs in popular art. The third are called “Thrones” – they are the real Game of Thrones! – who are “the elders” in heaven presenting our prayers to God. The fourth rank are “Dominions,” whose job is to direct the duties of lower angels. The fifth rank is called “Virtues,” who cause the miracles we see on earth. The sixth choir is “Powers” who combat evil and are often depicted with armor and weaponry. The seventh are called “Principalities,” who guide and protect nations and groups of peoples. The United States, for example, has a “Principality” to protect us, and he must be working overtime! The second to lowest class are “Archangels” like Michael, Raphael, and Gabriel. And last but not least are simple angels, like our guardian angels, like the angel who comforted Jesus in the Garden.
          In the first reading today, Isaiah beholds a vision of angels, who help him overcome his fears. He writes: “Seraphim were stationed above; each of them had six wings: with two they veiled their faces, with two they veiled their feet, with two they hovered aloft.” Now, remember the Seraphim are the highest ranking in the 9 angelic choirs, the burning ones. Notice what one Seraphim does: Isaiah feels doomed for seeing God and he is filled with deadly fear. But the angels touches his lips with a burning ember and removes all fear, and Isaiah is ready to be a prophet. You see, angels help not only small children but also great prophets to overcome their fears.
          Today I invite you to grow in your awareness and attention to the action of angels. Take a few moments to study angels: their presence, their purposes and their perfections. Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church, especially numbers 328-336. Speaking of angels, the Catechism teaches: “Form infancy to death human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession” (no. 336). At noon every day, our church office staff gathers to pray the “Angelus” (meaning “angel”) as the church bells ring, remembering the action of angels in salvation history.   
          My friends, don’t become so old or so sophisticated that you cannot pray like a small child: “Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits me here, ever this day be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule and to guide. Amen.” Angels are all-around us to help us all overcome our childish fears.

          Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment