Thursday, July 7, 2016

Eavesdrop on God

Entering into the conversation between the Father and the Son  

John 17:11B-19 
Lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed, saying: “Holy Father, keep them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one just as we are one. When I was with them I protected them in your name that you gave me, and I guarded them, and none of them was lost except the son of destruction, in order that the Scripture might be fulfilled. Consecrate them in the truth.  Your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world. And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth.”
          Have you ever accidentally overheard a private conversation? Or, for that matter, have you ever intentionally overheard a private conversation? That’s called “eavesdropping.” Most people, seeing two people speaking in low voices, huddled together, would politely back away, giving them space. That’s why we rope off the pews directly in front of the confessional, so people don’t accidentally overhear, or to prevent people from intentionally overhearing! This is also why we instinctively give people ample space in church, so as not to interrupt their sacred conversation with God. People should enjoy privacy when they pour out their hearts to God in prayer.   
          Now, the famous British novelist, Jane Austen, once said she never recorded a private conversation between two men by themselves in her novels because she couldn’t imagine what two men alone would talk about. It’s really not that hard to imagine: either they’re talking about the weather, or fishing or baseball. Or they’re just sitting there, not talking at all!   
          In the gospel we get to overhear a conversation, not between two men, but between God the Father and God the Son. In fact, the gospel of John, chapters 14 through 17 record one long, extended prayer of Jesus speaking to his Father. Like many of you when you come to church and pour out your hearts in prayer to God, so too Jesus, pours out his heart in supplication to God. This prayer is very personal; it gives us a glimpse into God’s heart. And yet, St. John invites us to eavesdrop on this conversation, to listen, to learn and to love. In fact, I had a memorial card made for my ordination day, and on the card I wrote a passage from today’s gospel, “Consecrate them in the truth.” In other words, I wanted Jesus’ “high priestly prayer” to be my own prayer as a priest. You can’t do much better than to pray like Jesus prayed.   
          Today, think a little about your own private conversations with God. What do you say when you pour out your heart to your Maker? Do you talk about the weather and fishing and baseball? You know, some of the most fervent prayers were probably about weather, and fishing and baseball! “Please, Lord, don’t let the Cubs lose again!” This past Christmas, I made a small card with a short prayer that I say every morning. Here’s my personal prayer (don’t worry, it’s not 4 chapters long): “Please bless me, Lord, that I might be an instrument of your love, joy, peace and grace to all those I meet today. And may all I meet today, be an instrument of your love, joy, peace and grace to me. Amen.” By the way, at the end of the day this prayer also serves as an excellent examination of conscience. That is, was I such an instrument today or not?   
          What would your personal prayer to God be? I’m sure it’s something that Jane Austen could never imagine.   

          Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment