Monday, January 29, 2024

Brothers in Arms, Part 1

Relating rightly to angels, the firstborn of the old creation

01/23/2024

There is a humorous saying that a holy pastor wakes up at four o’clock…twice a day. I do not know how other pastors manage to wake up at four a.m., but I ask the assistance of my guardian angel. That is, rather than set an alarm clock before I fall asleep, I sort of set my angel clock to wake me up early the next morning. Honestly, I cannot remember the last time I actually set an alarm clock before bed. I am convinced that my guardian angel rouses me like St. Peter’s guardian angel woke him in Acts 12:7, where we read: “An angel of the Lord…struck Peter on the side and woke him [in prison], saying, ‘Get up quickly’.” Now, many modern scientific people probably scoff at my idea of an angel alarm clock. They would chalk up my earlier raising to deeper circadian rhythms, or sleeping habits formed over time, or to other natural causes. But I disagree. Why?

Well, my belief in the angels follows in the footsteps of countless Christian scholars and saints up and down the ages who were convinced that the citizenry of the cosmos included a vast array of beings, not only those we can see but also those we cannot see, most notably, the angels. Hamlet corrected his close friend, Horatio in the same way he would have corrected modern scientists, observing: “There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy” (Hamlet, I, v). That is, when those saintly scholars peered at creation through the eyes of faith, they perceived that angels were primarily our older brothers because they were created first. Put differently, angels are the firstborn of creation.

But their faith in the coming of Christ helped them to see even more than that. They understood that the Incarnation and later the Resurrection of Christ had wrought a deep ontological role reversal in the ordering of the cosmos. What does that mean? Well, in the natural, original order, angels are our older brothers, and hence they rank higher than us mere mortals. Therefore, like older siblings, they wield greater intelligence, authority, and power over their younger siblings, meaning the rest of creation. Now, this is hard to appreciate in our modern American culture which tends to deemphasize this sibling hierarchy within families. We pride ourselves on being very democratic; everybody is equal. But my Indian culture highlights this hierarchy. Growing up I learned that out of respect a younger sibling should address an older sibling not by using their first name – much like we address our parents as “mom” or “dad” rather than Raichel or Tony. Instead Indians use the respectful title of “Chetan” which means older brother.

However, when I was ordained a priest, I socially leaped over my older brother Paul, and now I rank higher in the family hierarchy. As a result of this social role reversal, he should no longer address me with my name “John” but with the title “Achen”, which literally means “Father.” Amazingly, I now stand as a “spiritual father” to my older brother. I have always wanted to say to Paul like Zod commanded Superman in the movie: “Kneel before Zod!” But I don’t dare because Paul can still beat me up. In other words, thanks to the death and resurrection of Christ, Jesus became the firstborn of the new creation, and replaced the angels. And when we are baptized we become part of that new creation, as St. Paul taught in 2 Co 5:17, “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.” What ordination did for me within my natural family, Baptism does for Christians within the supernatural family of the cosmos. That is, the old, natural hierarchy has been turned on its head so that now our older brothers and sisters, the angels, serve us, their little brothers and sisters. How so? Well, one way my angel does that is by getting me out of bed every morning.

In this brief essay, we will study the activity of the angels from three different angles. First, we will consider the super-historical events surrounding the angels, that is, before the creation of man as Adam and Eve. Several chapters of created history had been written long before Adam and Eve appeared on the scene. Second, we will survey the scriptural witness to the angels, namely, how our older brothers treated us before and after the coming of Christ. Angelic behavior toward humans is dramatically different in the two Testaments. And third, we will explore the practice of exorcisms, which is also a way we deal with the angels, in this case, fallen angels or demons. Or perhaps it would be more correct to say this is how they deal with us.

But before going any further, we must address a rather stubborn objection to angels, namely, scientism or materialism. Scientism is a modern bias that insists we should only believe in what our five senses can verify. Think of scientism like the blinders we put on horses, so that they are forced to only look forward and not side to side. Scientism only wants us to look at matter, and not let our eyes be distracted by spirit. But what is good for horses is not necessarily good for humans. Why not? Well, because scientism basically throws angels into the same basket as the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus. It confuses faith with fiction and cannot tell them apart. And then it throws the baby (of faith) out with the bathwater (of fiction).

In a sense, scientism tries to make us too smart for our own good. How so? Well, C. S. Lewis took scientism to its logical (even ludicrous) conclusion in his essay on “Miracles”, writing: "If the end of the world appeared in all the literal trappings of the Apocalypse, if the modern materialist saw with his own eyes the heavens rolled up (Rv 6:14) and the great white throne appearing (Rv 22:11), if he had the sensation of being himself hurled into the Lake of Fire (Rv. 19:20; 20:10; 20:14-15; 21:8), he would continue forever, in that lake itself, to regard his experience as an illusion and to find the explanation of it in psycho-analysis, or cerebral pathology” (God in the Dock, 25).

So, in the place of this modern apathy toward angels, I would suggest we throw off these twin blinders of scientism and materialism and see the world with the wide-eyed wonder of children, who have no preconceived prejudices against angels. Jesus promised: “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven” (Mt 18:3). We are in fact alluding to the angels every Sunday when we profess in the Nicean Creed: “I believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible.” Angels are part of those things that are invisible, but they are very real. I strongly suggest we put our trust in these invisible intercessors when we pray like humble children: “Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits me here. Ever this day be at my side, to light and guard, rule and guide. And to wake me up at 4 a.m. Amen.”

Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment