Thursday, October 13, 2022

Perfect Parents

Seeing how our parents are human just like us

09/28/2022

Lk 9:57-62 As Jesus and his disciples were proceeding on their journey, someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus answered him,"Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head." And to another he said, "Follow me." But he replied, "Lord, let me go first and bury my father." But he answered him, "Let the dead bury their dead. But you, go and proclaim the Kingdom of God." And another said, "I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say farewell to my family at home." Jesus answered him, "No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the Kingdom of God.

Today I want to talk about the two most important people in your life, namely, your mom and dad. Why are they the most important people? Well, because when you see them, you can see yourself; it’s like you’re looking in a mirror. For example, did you know that you are 50% your mom and 50% your dad? When you were conceived in your mother’s womb, you received 23 chromosomes from your mom and 23 chromosomes from your dad. That is why I smile just like my mom and I have hair just like my dad, or the lack thereof! In other words, I did not just fall out of the sky like a meteor, and land here on earth. I came from two wonderful people. I was born from their love for each other and their love for me.

Now, let me ask you a question: raise your hand if you think your parents are perfect. Not too many teenagers would raise their hands, but some might. But did you know that most kids used to think their parents were perfect when they were really small? When we are small, like toddlers, or in 1st grade, our parents look strong and smart, like Superman and Wonder Woman. They know how to do everything, and they can answer all our questions: Why is the sky blue? They know the answer. Why do ships float on water? They know how that happens. Why do I have a bellybutton? And they can tell me that, too. We love them and we adore them, and draw pictures of them, and bring them flowers. Our parents are “god-like” to us when we are small.

But what happens when we become teenagers? We begin to see “chinks” in their armor. We perceive that our parents are not perfect. Our parents make mistakes and they do not know everything. Their bodies begin to show signs of age, illness and frailty. By contrast what is happening to our teenage bodies? Our bodies are growing stronger, and we are physically stronger than our father. We might beat him up in a fight. Our minds are becoming super-smart, and we think we know everything. At least we know more than mom and dad. They are no longer the superheroes. We are.

Well, if you are the superheroes, what is your job? Superheroes take care of the weak and vulnerable people. It is the role of a superhero to take care of mere mortals, like your parents. You have to be patient with them, and accept their limitations and weaknesses. Usually, we think it is the job of parents to be patient with the their kids’ mistakes. But kids must also be patient with their parents’ mistakes. When we become teenagers, we realize our parents are not Superman or Wonder Woman, but are just human beings like everyone else.

Here is the last thing I want to tell you about your parents, and I am not sure you will understand what I am going to say. But I am going to tell you anyway, and hope you understand. Listen carefully now. Your parents are architects. Now, they are not architects who draw up the blueprints for buildings, but they have drawn up the blueprints for who you are. In other words, they not only gave you 46 chromosomes to build your body, but they also wrote the blueprints for your personality.

They decided what clothes you should wear. They determined where you would go to school. They decided what neighborhood you would grow up in. They will tell you what you can watch on television. And they determine what church you will go to on Sundays. In short, they are the architects of YOU, and they are building something that will last a lot longer than any skyscraper or Egyptian pyramid ever erected.

Well, guess what happens when you become a teenager? You want to be your own architect. And that is not all bad. Your parents have laid a solid foundation for you to build something beautiful with your life. When you finish high school you will continue the great construction project that is your life. Now, sometimes teenagers do not like the blueprints their parents have drawn up for their personalities, and one day you will have the freedom to change things. But before you do, know this: your parents only want what is best for you, because they love you, and only want you to be happy. Those blueprints are a sign of their desire for your happiness.

Boys and girls, it has taken me a long time to figure out that my parents are the most important people in my life. They really are pretty perfect parents. I am 53 years old and I am still figuring that out. But since you are much smarter than me, I am sure you will figure that out much faster.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment