Monday, February 7, 2022

Sharper than Any Sword

Using our words with power and purpose

01/26/2022

Mk 4:1-20 On another occasion, Jesus began to teach by the sea. A very large crowd gathered around him so that he got into a boat on the sea and sat down. And the whole crowd was beside the sea on land. Jesus said to them, “The sower sows the word. These are the ones on the path where the word is sown. As soon as they hear, Satan comes at once and takes away the word sown in them. And these are the ones sown on rocky ground who, when they hear the word, receive it at once with joy. But they have no roots; they last only for a time. Then when tribulation or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. Those sown among thorns are another sort. They are the people who hear the word, but worldly anxiety, the lure of riches, and the craving for other things intrude and choke the word, and it bears no fruit. But those sown on rich soil are the ones who hear the word and accept it and bear fruit thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.”

I am proud to be a logophile. Does anyone know what that word means: logophile? A logophile is someone who loves words. And if you know how to use words well, you can do a lot of good in the world because words are powerful. For example, I will never forget using my words to ask Dr. Hollenbeck to come to Trinity as the principal back in 2015. I went to her house on 26th Street and she gave me pizza for dinner. It was great pizza. I don’t remember exactly what all we discussed but I assured her: “We will do this together.” Then I stretched my hand across the counter and held her hands, and we prayed about it. I used my words not only to speak to Dr. Hollenbeck, but also to speak to God in prayer. And what a blessing she has been to Trinity and to me.

I also remember recruiting Coach Meares to come back to Trinity. Do you know where I took Coach Meares to "wine and dine" him? We went to Patrick’s Burgers – I spared no expense in recruiting Coach Meares! We had a great hamburger, but an even better conversation, and talked about what a great school Trinity is and how it could be even better with Coach Meares present. Coach Meares is not only a cheerleader for the girls he coaches, but also a great cheerleader for our school. That is, both Dr. Hollenbeck and Coach Meares know how to use their words well, too, and they are a blessing to our school, as are all our teachers and staff.

In the gospel today, Jesus is also a logophile who loves words. Indeed, he himself is the Word of God. The word “logos” in Greek means “word.” He tells an important parable today in Mark 4 about a sower who goes out to sow seeds. Then Jesus explains what the parable means in one sentence, saying: “The sower sows the word.” In other words, the seeds are our words that we sow in people’s hearts. Sometimes those seeds produce great fruit, like when I spoke a few words and asked Dr. Hollenbeck and Coach Meares to come to Trinity. My words were like seeds planted in their hearts and those seeds continue to produce great fruit. And the students at Trinity have been feasting on those fruits!

Boys and girls, how do you use your words? You don’t have to be a logophile like me to know words are powerful and can produce great fruit, but they can also cause a lot of harm. Have you words ever hurt someone’s feelings or broken someone’s heart? Think about the power behind these two phrases: “I love you,” and “I hate you.” Can you feel their strength in your heart? Words are far sharper than any two-edged sword, as it says in Hb 4:12.

A friend of mine wisely cautioned me several years ago: “Don’t ever joke about a person’s weight or about their hair. Those two topics are off limits.” Why? Because those jabs and jokes really sting and hurt people’s hearts. Those words cut like a knife, indeed, like a sword thrust into the heart. I don’t want to hear students at Trinity talking about people’s weight or about their hair, or insulting each other or gossiping about others and ruining people’s reputations.

Boys and girls, our words carry great power: power to do good, like recruit a great principal and coach, but also the power to do great harm, like break someone’s heart. We must all learn to use our words well, even if you are not a logophile.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment