Monday, June 1, 2020

Eat at Jesus's


Giving thanks on an ordination anniversary
05/25/2020
John 16:29-33 The disciples said to Jesus, “Now you are talking plainly, and not in any figure of speech. Now we realize that you know everything and that you do not need to have anyone question you. Because of this we believe that you came from God.” Jesus answered them, “Do you believe now? Behold, the hour is coming and has arrived when each of you will be scattered to his own home and you will leave me alone. But I am not alone, because the Father is with me. I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.”
Today, May 25, 2020, I celebrate my twenty-fourth ordination anniversary, and my heart is filled with gratitude to God for the inestimable gift of the priesthood. A friend asked me how I would celebrate the day, and I replied: “Well, I will say morning Mass and then work on my bible study on the book of Revelation.” She responded drily: “Yeah, that sounds about right.” Seriously, how much can you party during a pandemic? But what better way is there to celebrate the priesthood than by celebrating the Eucharist?
As you know, the word Eucharist comes from the Greek word “eucharisto” which means “I give thanks.” One great saint captured the majesty and mystery of the Mass saying: We need three eternities to celebrate the Mass. One eternity to prepare for the Mass; a second eternity to celebrate the Mass; a third eternity to give God thanks for the Mass.” Only a priest can celebrate the Mass. It is his highest honor and his most sacred duty.
Many years ago Bishop McDonald ordained a priest who was seventy years old and some people questioned his decision. He answered his doubters: “If he celebrated only one Mass as a priest, then all his many years of seminary studies and formation would have been worth it.” C. S. Lewis once observed: “He who has God and everything else has no more than he who has God only.” That’s how I feel celebrating Mass on my ordination anniversary: like I have God in the Eucharist, and nothing else is necessary. Or, as the great Spanish mystic, St. Teresa of Avila, expressed it so eloquently: “Solo Dios basta,” meaning “God alone suffices.”
It’s impossible to summarize the sublime spirit of the priesthood that I feel on my anniversary, so I will try to do it by sharing these humorous church signs someone sent me by email recently. At the end of the day, that’s what a priest is: a huge blinking neon sign that says, “Eat at Joe’s,” or in the case of a priest, “Eat at Jesus’s”! Here are the church signs: “The Best Vitamin for a Christian is B1.” “Try our Sundays, They Are Better Than Baskin Robbins.”
“You are not too bad to come in. You are not too good to stay out.” “Can’t sleep? Try counting your blessings!” “Try Jesus. If you don’t like him, the devil will always take you back.” “Life is hard. Afterlife is harder.” I really like the following: “Aspire to inspire before you expire.” “Where will you be sitting for eternity? Smoking or non-smoking?” The last one reads: “Under same management for over 2,000 years.” And I’m pleased to be a priest and part of that management team for twenty-four of those 2,000 years.
Today’s gospel reading from John 16 ends with a wonderful word of encouragement for priests and for everyone else. Jesus says: “I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.” To be honest, I haven’t had much trouble in the world in the past twenty-four years. My challenges have been tame, not like tigers but more like skunks. But I am happy to have that assurance from Christ that in case my troubles suddenly turn titanic he will provide his peace and courage. I feel Jesus’ peace and courage every time I celebrate the Eucharist. Don’t worry, I won’t take an eternity to finish Mass.
Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment