Thursday, May 30, 2019

Final Flavor


Desiring the Eucharist as food for the journey
05/30/2019
John 16:16-20 Jesus said to his disciples: "A little while and you will no longer see me, and again a little while later and you will see me." So some of his disciples said to one another, "What does this mean that he is saying to us, 'A little while and you will not see me, and again a little while and you will see me,' and 'Because I am going to the Father'?" So they said, "What is this 'little while' of which he speaks? We do not know what he means." Jesus knew that they wanted to ask him, so he said to them, "Are you discussing with one another what I said, 'A little while and you will not see me, and again a little while and you will see me'? Amen, amen, I say to you, you will weep and mourn, while the world rejoices; you will grieve, but your grief will become joy."
Have you ever given much thought to how you want to leave this world? Or, as I like to say, “What is your exit strategy from earth?” I think that is worth a minute or two of meditation. Some people talk about their “bucket list” of places to go, people to see, and activities to accomplish. Prisoners on death row are allowed to request any meal their heart desires as their last meal and the prison chef will prepare it for them. For example, Timothy McVeigh, the terrorist responsible for the Oklahoma City bombing, requested two pints of mint chocolate chip ice cream as his last meal.
Yesterday my parents shared with me they did not want to end up in hospice care as their exit strategy from earth. I was surprised and I asked why. My mother (who is a registered nurse) explained that while hospice care is effective in eliminating pain and discomfort, it also often requires heavy sedation, so the person is virtually unconscious and uncommunicative. But both my mom and dad insisted they want to be able to see, hear and talk with visitors. And they especially want to see, hear and talk with the priest who gives them Last Rites. My mom was adamant about going to confession, being anointed, and receiving Communion, called “Viaticum,” when that occurs shortly before death. In other words, my mom and dad’s last meal would not be mint chocolate chip ice cream but the Sacred Host of Holy Communion. I am in awe of my parents, who grasp the grace of the moment of death with an instinctive faith that is far better than this priest who’s been ordained twenty-three years with multiple theology degrees. My last meal might be a stiff shot of scotch, maybe a smooth MacAllen 18.
Jesus shares his exit strategy from this earth with his apostles in very cryptic language. He says: “A little while and you will not see me, and again a little while and you will see me.” In other words, he’s talking about his death (when they won’t see him), and his subsequent resurrection (when they will see him again). But the disciples were uncomprehending. They were not ready to hear about Jesus’ exit strategy just like I was not ready to hear about my parents’ wishes at the end of life, and maybe as some of you are not ready to hear about death and dying in a homily. Nevertheless, it is worth a moment or more of meditation. And do you recall what Jesus’ heart desired as his last meal before he would be executed as a common criminal? It was not mint chocolate chip ice cream, or even an 18 year old scotch. Rather it was the bread and wine of the Eucharist, just like my parents wanted. In a sense, Jesus also declined any palliative care as he approached his death, so he could see and hear and talk with those around him. Jesus received no comfort care during his crucifixion.
My friends, have you given much thought to how you will leave this world, your exit strategy? Of course it’s fine to check off items on your bucket list and to plan your final gourmet meal and make arrangements regarding what kind of care you want at the end of life. But also give a little time and attention to the state of your soul at the moment of departure. Will you have made peace with your enemies? Before you die you should forgive those who have hurt you, and if possible, ask forgiveness from those whom you have hurt. Jesus forgave those who crucified him and also the Good Thief.
Make sure a priest is present to give you the Anointing of the Sick, hear your confession, and place the Communion Host (Viaticum) on your tongue. By the way, the last thing Jesus tasted on the Cross was sour wine, which was actually the conclusion of the Passover Meal he had begun in the Upper Room with his disciples. The Last Supper was stretched out from Thursday evening till Friday afternoon, and that supper ended as the sacrifice of the Cross. That is why the Mass is called both a supper and a sacrifice. In other words, the final flavor on Jesus’ tongue was the Eucharist. Viaticum literally means “something for the journey.” Fr. Stephen and I take Communion to our homebound parishioners at least once a month. We are helping them with their exit strategy, which should always include the Eucharist.
How do you want to leave this world: in a blaze of glory, asleep in your bed, or with the taste of mint chocolate chip ice cream? On the other hand, maybe your last meal should be the Eucharist, which was the heart’s desire of my parents and of Jesus.
Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment