Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Scripture not Shakespeare


Giving and receiving fraternal correction with love
10/10/2018
Galatians 2:7-14 And when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face because he clearly was wrong. For, until some people came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he began to draw back and separated himself, because he was afraid of the circumcised. And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, with the result that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy. But when I saw that they were not on the right road in line with the truth of the Gospel, I said to Cephas in front of all, "If you, though a Jew, are living like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?"

In the past couple of weeks two people have corrected me on comments I made in my homilies. One man took umbrage with my suggestion that Scripture is not intended to answer questions about science, or other special areas of study, like astronomy. He argued that Scripture had a lot to say about everything. And he added that most people would rather I spent my homily talking about Scripture rather than Shakespeare. I sent him a thank you note later letting him know he gave me a lot to think about and how I can improve my preaching.

My second critic took exception with something I said in a Spanish homily. I said I frequently listen to Protestant preachers while driving to and from our mission church in Winslow. It is about 45 minutes, one way. I learn a lot about preaching style from local preachers, but I am careful not to believe their substance. Throw out the bathwater, not the baby. But this man rightly noted that some Hispanics who heard me say that will leave Mass thinking I just told them it was a good idea to listen to Protestant pastors on the radio, since that is what I do. And he was right: I used a poor example to make my point. I should have thought a little harder how Hispanics would hear that homily. Let me add that both men were very polite, respectful and said several times they enjoyed my homilies very much. But basically, my sermons need more Scripture and less Shakespeare.

In the letter to the Galatians we hear how St. Paul had to correct St. Peter. Now bear in mind Peter is the first pope so pointing out his faux pas is a little more intimidating than correcting Fr. John. But St. Paul does it with both tenacity and tact. He first mentions what good work Peter had done in evangelizing Jews and helping them to become Christians. The Jews are the circumcised. But Peter had been less energetic evangelizing the Gentiles, the uncircumcised. Paul argues: “But when I saw that they were not on the right road in line with the truth of the Gospel, I said to Cephas (Peter’s original name) in front of all, ‘If you, though a Jew, are living like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?” Basically, Peter was using a double-standard – one for Jews another one for Gentiles – and Paul said there is only one standard of the Gospel that leads to salvation, namely, Jesus. In effect, Paul was saying: more Scripture and less Shakespeare. Keep it simple.

My friends, sooner or later, you will experience fraternal correction: a spouse corrects her husband, a parent points out a child’s errors, a parishioner suggests improvements for a pastor’s preaching. Here are ten tips for tackling this task. First, if you have to criticize someone else, use the sandwich technique. Begin by complimenting them, then bring the correction, and end with another compliment. Slide the correction between two slices of compliments. Second, correct the behavior rather than belittle the person, hate the sin but love the sinner. People are generally good and doing the best they can. Third, sprinkle a little humor into the conversation to lighten the mood, don’t take yourself so seriously. Laughter is the best medicine. Fourth, John Maxwell said: “Care enough to correct.” Taking time to talk about improvements shows you care about others and love them. The converse is also true: not to correct is not to care. Fifth, add you own faults and failures into the mix, and assure the person you are not judging them from an ivory tower of perfection.

If, on the other hand, you are the one receiving the correction, remember these tips. First, listen lovingly and try to hear Jesus speaking through that other person. Just like Jesus corrected people in the Bible, so he may be correcting you now. Listen prayerfully. Second, focus on what is valuable in their comments instead of what they may have said wrong. Don’t pick apart their points, but be glad they gave you some gold. Third, do not become defensive and explain why you were right and justified in your behavior, but rather listen attentively. To listen well means you are willing to change; if you are not willing to change, you are not really listening. Fourth, be aware of passive-aggressive tendencies. Some people seem very obsequious and humble when they are corrected, but later try to take revenge and sabotage that person and stab them in the back. And fifth, thank the person for taking the trouble to correct you and tell them you will do your best to put their suggestions into practice.

So, in summary: more Scripture and less Shakespeare, and no more Protestant preachers on the radio. Anything else you want me to change, dang it?

Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment