Thursday, May 3, 2018

Monologue in the Mind


Hearing the voice of God amid many other voices
05/02/2018
Acts of the Apostles 15:1-6  Some who had come down from Judea were instructing the brothers, "Unless you are circumcised according to the Mosaic practice, you cannot be saved." Because there arose no little dissension and debate by Paul and Barnabas with them, it was decided that Paul, Barnabas, and some of the others should go up to Jerusalem to the Apostles and presbyters about this question. They were sent on their journey by the Church, and passed through Phoenicia and Samaria telling of the conversion of the Gentiles, and brought great joy to all the brethren. When they arrived in Jerusalem, they were welcomed by the Church, as well as by the Apostles and the presbyters, and they reported what God had done with them. But some from the party of the Pharisees who had become believers stood up and said, "It is necessary to circumcise them and direct them to observe the Mosaic law." The Apostles and the presbyters met together to see about this matter.

Each person without exception experiences a funny phenomenon: as soon as we stop talking to other people, we start talking to ourselves. Have you noticed this silent monologue in your mind? For instance, right now, some of you are saying to yourself: how long will this homily last? Will he play us another song or speak in French again? Others are wondering: What’s for lunch today? It’s been two hours since breakfast and I’m starving! Some boy is reminiscing over last Friday’s dance and thinking, “I should have asked that girl to dance with me!” Some girl is thinking, “I’m sure glad that boy didn’t ask me to dance with him!” Some of you are worried about geography and so are repeating your notes in your mind: What is the capital of Kazakhstan? Others may be coming up with excuses why they didn’t complete their homework before class.

When I was in eighth grade I heard a voice in my head that said, “Maybe I should become a priest.” But I replied to that voice, “No thanks! I’d rather talk to that pretty blonde girl sitting in the front of class.” Many years later when I was in the seminary and thinking about leaving to do something else, I heard the voice of my brother in my head. When I first talked to my family about going into the seminary, my brother scoffed: “Oh, John, you’ll never make it.” So, I stuck it out in the seminary just to prove him wrong. Now, I am a priest for the rest of my life just to prove my brother wrong. I am not sure who won that argument. In the course of our lives we hear lots of voices (and their comments echo in our heads), and it’s not at all easy to know which one to trust and obey.

Chapter 15 of the Acts of the Apostles showcases a showdown of shouting voices, and the early Christians were not at all sure about whom to trust and obey. On the one hand was Paul and Barnabas, who rejoiced that non-Jews were becoming Christians, and they wanted to put as few obstacles as possible to their conversion. On the other hand, were Jewish Christians – former Pharisees – who said people had to be circumcised first before becoming Christians. If you don’t know what “circumcision” is, ask your biology teacher. These two voices were competing for the people’s attention, like how in my mind the Holy Spirit and my older brother were competing for my attention and really my obedience. In order to figure out which voice to obey, the apostles gathered together the first major council of the Church, called the “Council of Jerusalem.” There, in prayer, they heard the Holy Spirit, who told them new converts did not need to be circumcised. Whew! Thank God - literally! Somewhere in the middle of the monologue in our mind is the voice of God, and we only hear his voice clearly in the silence of prayer.

Boys and girls, here are some voices competing in your head for your attention and really your obedience. See if you can tell which one is the voice of God. One voice tells you to try alcohol and drugs and another voice tells you not to touch it. One voice suggests you be lazy and blow off the last few weeks of school but another voice says get your rear in gear and make the most of the little time left. (That voice probably sounds a lot like Dr. Hollenbeck.) One voice tempts you to talk trash about other students, while another voice suggests you just stay silent. Who knows, maybe you even hear a voice telling you to be a priest or a nun, and another one that scoffs, saying, “You will never make it.” Of all the voices you hear, which voice comes from God?

The great gift of attending Trinity Junior High is learning that among the array of the voices in my head is also the voice of the Holy Spirit. Only by trusting and obeying God’s voice will you find true happiness. The reason we exist as a school is to help you hear that voice and do what he tells you. And that’s why we gather the whole school to pray at Mass each week, like the Apostles gathered to pray at the first Council of Jerusalem. Only when we silence the monologue in our mind can we hear the voice of God.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment