Thursday, July 9, 2015

Free food

Learning everything is a gift from God
Matthew 10:7-15
          Jesus said to his Apostles: “As you go, make this proclamation: ‘The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, drive out demons. Without cost you have received; without cost you are to give. Do not take gold or silver or copper for your belts; no sack for the journey, or a second tunic, or sandals, or walking stick. The laborer deserves his keep. Whatever town or village you enter, look for a worthy person in it, and stay there until you leave. As you enter a house, wish it peace. If the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it; if not, let your peace return to you. Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words— go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet. Amen, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.”

            I have one simple rule for being a happy and healthy and holy priest: “never say ‘no’ to food.”  I shamelessly beg for food from the pulpit (like I just did) and then eagerly accept invitations to dinner.  People often ask me, “Father, what is your favorite meal?”  I always answer: “I have two favorite foods: free food and food I didn’t have to cook!”  I look at food like “manna from heaven.”  Just like God miraculously sent food from heaven for the Israelites in the desert, so I trust God will feed me.  I’ve come to realize, though, that food is not all I’ve received freely; everything I have has been given to me at no cost.  For instance, I did not pay for the house I live in (you did!), someone gave me my car as a gift, even my clerical clothes are hand-me-downs from another priest, my shoes were a gift from a Hispanic family, my body was given to me by my parents, my soul was infused in me by God, my talents and abilities are merely on loan.  St. Augustine said that the only things truly and completely our own are our sins!  The secret to being a happy, healthy and holy priest is free food: realizing that everything is a gift from God.

            In the gospel today Jesus is trying to teach this basic rule of free food to his first priests.  He says, “Without cost you have received, without cost you are to give.”  In other words, everything you have is a gift from God.  Therefore, give all you have freely, also as a gift.  He clarifies further: “Do not take gold or silver or copper for your belts, no sack for the journey, or a second tunic, no sandals or a walking stick.”  Why?  Well, because the people of God will give you new sandals for your feet, and a Toyota Avalon for a walking stick.  You see, the secret to being a happy, healthy and holy disciple is also free food, relying entirely on God's goodness.

            A Protestant friend once explained how he finally learned to tithe ten percent.  He said, “It was always hard for me to give away my hard-earned money.  Then one day our pastor explained that everything we have really belongs to God, and he just lets us borrow it briefly.  Once I realized that 100% of what I had belonged to God, then giving him 10% wasn’t so hard.”  I thought: Yeah, that’s good, but Catholics will never buy that.  St. Paul asks rhetorically in 1 Corinthians 4:7, “What do you have that you have not received?”  Take a little time today to think about your life, your house, your body, your soul, your car, your shoes and your talents.  Where did you get all that?  It’s all a gift from God.  The only things you can take any credit for are your sins. Congratulations.  My friends, the secret to being happy, healthy and holy for anyone is free food.


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment