Friday, July 17, 2015

The Bone Church

Deciding where our remains will remain
Genesis 49:29-32
           Jacob gave his sons this charge: “Since I am about to be taken to my people, bury me with my fathers in the cave that lies in the field of Ephron the Hittite, the cave in the field of Machpelah, facing on Mamre, in the land of Canaan, the field that Abraham bought from Ephron the Hittite for a burial ground. There Abraham and his wife Sarah are buried, and so are Isaac and his wife Rebekah, and there, too, I buried Leah– the field and the cave in it that had been purchased from the Hittites.”

            Do you ever think about where you will be buried after you die?  As I approach my 46th birthday, I am starting to think about it more and more!  I would like to be buried here in Fort Smith, but I hope that doesn’t happen any time soon!  One of the most fascinating burial sites in Rome is commonly called “the Bone Church.”  It’s the crypt section below a Capuchin Church where the bones of over 4,000 deceased monks actually decorate the walls and form elaborate art work.  A lot of people think it’s creepy, but I think it’s cool.  On one wall of the crypt is this sober reminder, as if the bones were speaking to each visitor: “Where you are, we once were; where we are, you shall be.”  In other words, nobody is getting out of here alive!  So, everyone should give some thought to where we’ll leave our mortal remains.  As I celebrate every passing birthday, I’m more and more keenly aware I’m getting closer to my “death day” and wonder where I should deposit this bag of bones.

            As we come to the end of the book of Genesis, we also hear about the end of the lives of two of the patriarchs, Jacob and Joseph.  And what are their final thoughts for their children?  They worry about where they will be buried, specifically, where to leave their bones.  Jacob wants to be buried with his father Isaac and his grandfather, Abraham.  And Joseph wants his bones NOT to be buried in Egypt, but taken back to the Holy Land and buried with his ancestors.  You see, as Jacob and Joseph celebrated each birthday, they could hear louder and louder the voices of Abraham and Isaac saying, “Where you are, we once were; where we are, you shall be.”  Like the Capuchin friars, Jacob and Joseph wanted their bones to be treated with respect and even reverence.

            Have you noticed something curious that the priest does when he walks in to start Mass?  He approaches the altar and kisses it.  But did you know that he’s not really kissing the altar?  Nope.  He’s kissing the relic that is buried inside each altar.  A relic is a small piece of the bone of a saint.  In other words, every Catholic church is a kind of "bone church”!  And every priestly kiss is a reminder to treat our bones with respect and reverence like Jacob and Joseph desired their children to treat them.  That’s why even though the Catholic Church allows cremation, she does NOT allow you to sprinkle the ashes of your deceased relatives over the Rocky Mountains or on their favorite fishing hole.  We kiss things that we love and honor; and Catholics kiss relics because we love the saints and revere their bodies and even their bones.  You may think that’s creepy, but a real Catholic would think that’s cool.

            Where will you be buried?  That’s not an unimportant question, and it’s not one you can ignore forever.  I’ve ignored it for 45 years, but I can’t ignore it anymore.  Why?  Because that relic I kiss at the start of Mass is saying to me louder and louder: “Where you are, I once was; where I am, you shall be.”


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment