Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Unstoppable Serial Killer

Accepting responsibility for our sins
Exodus 32: 21-24, 30-32
Moses asked Aaron, “What did this people ever do to you that you should lead them into so grave a sin?” Aaron replied, “Let not my lord be angry. You know well enough how prone the people are to evil. They said to me, ‘Make us a god to be our leader; as for the man Moses who brought us out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has happened to him.’ So I told them, ‘Let anyone who has gold jewelry take it off.’ They gave it to me, and I threw it into the fire, and this calf came out.”

On the next day Moses said to the people, “You have committed a grave sin. I will go up to the LORD, then; perhaps I may be able to make atonement for your sin.” So Moses went back to the LORD and said, “Ah, this people has indeed committed a grave sin in making a god of gold for themselves! If you would only forgive their sin! If you will not, then strike me out of the book that you have written.”

            We have some great idiomatic phrases these days to avoid taking responsibility for our actions, when we want to “pass the buck.”  One popular expression is “throw someone else under the bus,” which became popular in the 2008 presidential election season.  David Segal wrote in the Washington Post, “This humble mode of transportation has become an unstoppable serial killer this presidential season, metaphorically speaking.  Hardly a week goes by without someone reviving the cliché of the 2008 campaign – that a former ally of a candidate has been thrown under a bus.”  Another great expression is “plausible deniability.”  Have you heard that one?  That’s where those higher in an organization can deny complicity in immoral or illegal action.  The funniest example is Sgt. Schultz from “Hogan’s Heroes,” who frequently said, “I hear nothing.  I see nothing.  I know nothing!”  We have all kinds of clever ways to get out of trouble.

            In the first reading from Exodus 32 – a chapter you should be familiar with – we see someone who used these excuses long before Schultz and 2008, namely, Aaron.  Moses comes down from Mt. Sinai to find the people worshiping the golden calf, and clearly Aaron is in charge and responsible and guilty.  But what does Aaron do?  First he throws the people under the bus by saying, “You know well enough how prone the people are to evil.”  And then Aaron plays the plausible deniability card, saying, “Well, the people gave me their golden jewelry, I threw it in the fire, and this calf came out.  I had no idea that would happen!”  Archbishop Fulton Sheen said, “That’s the lamest excuse in all human history!”  Now, that’s what Aaron did, but what did Moses do?  He took the heat for the people himself, even though he was innocent, saying to God, “If you will not forgive them, strike me out of the book that you have written.”  Moses threw himself under that unstoppable serial killer.

            This is why Catholics go to confession: to stop making excuses and accept responsibility for our actions.  I remember one Catholic school teacher who told her students at the end of their confession to say, “These are my sins and I take full responsibility for them.”  After 19 years of hearing lame excuses in confession, those words are music to my ears!  Imagine for a moment your 10 year old child who broke the window coming to you and saying, “I broke the window and I take full responsibility for my actions.”  How refreshing would that sound to you?  Folks, we are masters of making excuse for our mistakes.  But in confession we get off that bus, accept responsibility for our actions, and stop blaming that unstoppable serial killer for our faults.


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment