Monday, November 2, 2020

Grave Politics

Praying for the beloved and not-so-beloved dead

11/01/2020

John 6:37-40 Jesus said to the crowds: “Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me, because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me. And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me, but that I should raise it on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day.”

A man arrives at the gates of heaven and St. Peter asks, “Religion?” The man answers, “Methodist.” St. Peter looks down at the list and says: “Go to Room 24, but be very quiet as you pass Room 8.” Another man arrives at the gates of paradise, and Peter asks, “Religion?” The man replies: “Lutheran.” The first pope, Peter, tells him, “Go to Room 18, but be very quiet as you pass Room 8.” A third man arrives at the Pearly Gates and a similar exchange ensues: “Religion?” “Presbyterian.” “Go to Room 11, but be very quiet as you pass Room 8.” The man questions: “I can understand there being different rooms for different denominations, but why must I be quiet when I pass Room 8?” St. Peter explains: “Well, the Baptists are in Room 8, and they think they are the only ones here.”

I’m sorry for bashing the Baptists. Of course, you can insert pretty much any denomination in Room 8, including Catholics, because at one time or another, every religion and denomination has believed they alone would be in heaven, and consequently, no one else will be. That always reminds me of something surprising Archbishop Fulton Sheen often said. He joked: “When we get to heaven, there will be three surprises. First, there will be some people there that we did not think were going to make it, but they did. Second, there will not be people in heaven whom we thought would make it, but they didn’t. And third, the biggest surprise of all is that we ourselves might make it.” In other words, when it comes to who’s enrolled in the Book of Life in heaven, all bets are off. We should stop trying to guess or arrogantly assert that only my denomination will be saved. Rather, as St. Paul said, each should “work out your salvation in fear and trembling” (Phil. 2:12).

In the gospel today from John 6, Jesus speaks about the mystery of salvation, who will be saved, before he gives his beautiful “Bread of Life Discourse” on the Eucharist. Our Lord declares: “Everything the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me, because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me.” It almost seems Jesus wishes he didn’t have to save everyone that the Father sends him, - maybe he didn’t want to save Judas who betrayed him? – but of course he does. Our Lord continues: “And this is the will of the one who sent me that I should not lose anything of what he gave me, but that I should raise it on the last day.”

The Catechism of the Catholic Church, quoting Vatican II, insists on something similar to our Savior, adding: “Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience – those too may achieve eternal salvation” (Catechism, 847). In other words, both Jesus and his Church maintain there will be some surprises when we get to heaven, in terms of the happy faces we see smiling there, and hopefully our own faces will be smiling there. Therefore, we have to “work out our salvation in fear and trembling,” not assuming we are saved.

Today on the Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed, commonly called “All Souls,” we remember and pray for our beloved dead. We pray they are given a comfortable room, maybe with an ocean view, when they come to the gates of heaven and present themselves before St. Peter. I pray for my nephew Noah, and all those grieving parents who have had to bury their children. There are so many who have had to face the very untimely death of a loved one, especially a young person. Today’s feast gives us comfort knowing that they are comforted too.

I hope this feast may cast a more gentle light on our partisan politics and that we don’t carry it with us to the grave. That is, St. Peter doesn’t have to say to us, “You are in Room 14, but be very quiet as you go by Room 8, because the Republicans are in there and they think they are the only ones here.” Of course, you can put Democrats in Room 8, too. I rather love the fact that there are so many Catholics in prominent political positions today. The first lady, Melania Trump is Catholic, Joe Biden is Catholic, Nancy Pelosi is Catholic, and now 6 Supreme Court Justices are Catholic. Catholics are taking over this country!

While we disagree on our politics, let us nonetheless pray for each other, especially that we will all make it to heaven, both Democrats and Republicans alike. None of us is perfect, and none of us should “cast the first stone” (Jn. 8:7). But rather, each should “work out our salvation in fear and trembling.” In other words, don’t take your politics to the grave, you might be surprised who makes it to heaven.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment