Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Tarzan's Loincloth

Wearing symbolic clothing
 Jeremiah 13:1-9

The LORD said to me: Go buy yourself a linen loincloth; wear it on your loins, but do not put it in water. I bought the loincloth, as the LORD commanded, and put it on. A second time the word of the LORD came to me thus: Take the loincloth which you bought and are wearing, and go now to the Parath; there hide it in a cleft of the rock. Obedient to the LORD’s command, I went to the Parath and buried the loincloth. After a long interval, the LORD said to me:  Go now to the Parath and fetch the loincloth which I told you to hide there. Again I went to the Parath, sought out and took the loincloth from the place where I had hid it. But it was rotted, good for nothing! Then the message came to me from the LORD:  Thus says the LORD: So also I will allow the pride of Judah to rot, the great pride of Jerusalem. This wicked people who refuse to obey my words, who walk in the stubbornness of their hearts, and follow strange gods to serve and adore them, shall be like this loincloth which is good for nothing.

             You can tell a lot about a person by the clothes they wear.  Now, I’m not suggesting we should judge people by their clothes, because we all know “the clothes do not make the man.”  Designer clothes don’t always mean a designer character.  Nevertheless, our clothes do say something about us.  I’ll never forget a little advice my mother gave me when I was first ordained.  She said, “Son, always wear your Roman collar.  It will keep you out of trouble.”  Now, what did she know about me that I didn’t??  Someone needs to keep me out of trouble!  But she was right: wearing the collar makes me think twice about where I go and what I do.  Just as importantly, it makes other people think twice when they see a priest in a collar.  I love to walk into a room and watch all the people jump to attention and start acting properly.  That’s why Catholic school children wear uniforms.  Those plaid jumpers are like little moral straitjackets that turn little hoodlums into little angels.  Our clothes can say a lot about us.  

            In the first reading today, Jeremiah also uses clothing to say something.  Actually, God commands Jeremiah to wear a loincloth.  To picture a loincloth just think of what Tarzan used to wear.  Then, God tells him to hide it in the cleft of a rock, where, after a long interval, it begins to fade and fall apart.  That simple cloth was a symbol of their relationship with God: its rottenness indicated the condition of their friendship with God.  That friendship had deteriorated and died.  You see, just like those Catholic school plaid jumpers symbolize moral uprightness (hopefully!), so Jeremiah’s rotten loincloth became a symbol of moral failure and even the ensuing divine judgment.

            What do your clothes say about you?  Even those of you who attend 7 a.m. Mass got up early enough to pick the clothes you would wear to Mass.  Or, at least you got up early enough for your wife to tell you what to wear!  The clothes you wear to work speak about your professionalism.  Here in Fort Smith, I notice a lot of people walking around without a shirt on.  In fact, some people aren’t dressed much differently than Tarzan!  What we wear when we come to Mass also says something about us.  I realize it’s summer time and I don’t want to make a big deal about this.  More than anything, I’m just glad people come to Mass.  But our clothes do indicated how important we think things are.  Jeremiah’s rotten loincloth meant the people’s relationship with God was rotten.  What does what we wear to mass say about our relationship with God?

             The clothes do not make the man.  But our clothes do say something about us: our priorities, what’s worth our time, our effort, and our money.  Our clothes can enhance but also endanger our relationships with each other and with God.  You know, it’s okay to wear only a loincloth if you live in the jungle like Tarzan.  But if you live in the concrete jungle of the modern world, you probably need a moral straitjacket to keep you out of trouble, too.


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment