Thursday, March 7, 2019

The Chauffeur


Learning how to go from discipleship to apostleship
03/03/2019
Luke 6:39-45 Jesus told his disciples a parable, "Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit? No disciple is superior to the teacher; but when fully trained, every disciple will be like his teacher. "A good tree does not bear rotten fruit, nor does a rotten tree bear good fruit. For every tree is known by its own fruit. For people do not pick figs from thornbushes, nor do they gather grapes from brambles. A good person out of the store of goodness in his heart produces good, but an evil person out of a store of evil produces evil; for from the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks."
Last week I went on a mission trip to Honduras and we had a driver who took us from place to place. At one point the driver had to run an errand and invited me to come along. He asked me to drive while he rode shotgun. He said: “Our trading places like this reminds of an old joke. One day a brilliant scientist was being driven by his usual chauffeur to a symposium. The scientist had shared so much of his life and work over the years that the chauffeur knew almost as much as he did. The scientist said, ‘What if we traded places, and you present the lecture and I’ll drive you around?’ The good-humored chauffeur gladly agreed.
The scientist briefed the chauffeur on his presentation as well as the questions people would probably ask. When they arrived the scientist opened the back door for the chauffeur and carried his bags inside. When it was time for the presentation, the chauffeur climbed on stage, adjusted his spectacles and delivered his speech. During the question and answer section, he easily replied to all the queries as he had rehearsed. But the very last question was completed unexpected and extremely hard and complicated. Thinking quickly, he calmly answered: “That is such a simple question, my friend, that I think I will let my chauffeur answer it.” That joke sounds funnier in Spanish.
In the gospel today, Jesus explains how one day his disciples would teach the nations and stand in his place. One Lord says: “No disciple is superior to the teacher; but when fully trained every disciple will be like his teacher.” The term “disciple” means learner or student, while the term “apostle” means one sent to teach and preach. Just like the chauffeur had learned much wisdom from his scientist friend so he could one day stand in his place, so the disciples spent three years in the company of Jesus, learning his wisdom so they could go to the four corners of the world and preach the Good News. Every week at I.C. we have a staff meeting where the priest leads the opening prayer. Lately, however, I’ve asked a staff member to lead the prayer. At first they were startled but now they look forward to it. At some point in the training, the disciple must become the teacher, like the chauffeur changed places with the scientist.
Today I’m here to talk about Trinity Junior High and to ask your help in a second collection. As you know registration has already begun, and I’m so pleased that many sixth graders from Christ the King School have registered at Trinity for this fall. If you’re still on the fence, let me share some reasons you might consider Trinity. Our academics are superior and students graduating from Trinity are typically ahead of their peers entering tenth grade at Northside or Southside. We have small classes with a 15 to 1 student-teacher ratio. Students receive individualized attention to enhance their strengths while overcoming their weaknesses. We now own the entire building we previously leased and have added another layer of safety with security cameras and access to only the school community. Being a small school community means students are not just anonymous faces in the crowd, but each one is known by name. Students cannot hide, even though some try to.  And everyone gets leadership opportunities. Why? Well, because we don’t have enough students to be followers!
Did you see this week’s Arkansas Catholic newspaper? The section called “Seeds of Faith” featured four Trinity students. They answered the question, “How will you grow spiritually this Lent?” I was so humbled and so proud of their answers. Grecia Gonzalez replied: “I hope to grow spiritually this Lent by not turning on my TV during the weekdays. Instead of watching TV, I will be responsible and do things I need to do and…I will take a moment to say a prayer.” Emily Harris said: “I am planning to give up social media which takes up a large amount of my time. Maybe without social media I could grow closer to God.” Juana Mora answered: “Every Lent I normally give up food but I don’t think that giving up food for 40 days is going to bring me closer to God. I think I should give up a bad habit instead, and that will get me closer to God.” I like how Juana thinks: I don’t want to give up food either! Finally, Marvin Chindasack promised: “I hope to grow spiritually during Lent by talking/praying to God.” He humbly added: “My relationship with him has gotten weaker, and I want to restore it even greater this year.” These are the thoughts running through the minds of Trinity students because those are the ideas our school inspires them to think. It’s easy to see today budding disciples and students who tomorrow will blossom into apostles and teachers of the faith. What Jesus said applies exactly to Trinity students: “No disciple is superior to the teacher; but when fully trained, every disciple will be like his teacher.”
Let me conclude with a quotation I often see in Catholic schools that summarizes what I’m trying to say. It reads: “Let it be known to all who enter here that Jesus Christ is the reason for this school, the unseen but ever-present teacher in all its classes, the model of its faculty, and the inspiration for its students.” If that’s the kind of school you want for your junior high-aged student, then Trinity is the perfect place for you. At some point in our journey of faith, we must stop being the chauffeur and stand in the place of the scientist.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment