Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Moments of Mercy


Recognizing mercy and returning mercy to others
03/18/2019
Luke 6:36-38 Jesus said to his disciples: "Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. "Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you."
Recently I recognized a moment of mercy God had granted me, which was entirely unexpected and definitely undeserved. Isn’t that what mer
cy means: a gift that’s unexpected and undeserved? But first you will have to indulge me in a walk down memory lane. When I was in the seminary, I took a year off to make sure I really wanted to be a priest. I was wavering in my vocation. I lived in student apartments on the campus of the University of Dallas, with a close friend named Murray Blackman. One evening, we sat on the back porch and listened to an endless loop of Garth Brooks’ beautiful ballad called “The Dance.” Suddenly, Murray made me an offer I found hard to refuse. He promised: “John, if you become a priest, I will name my first-born son after you, ‘John Antony’.” And I agreed to the deal.
The following year I returned to the seminary and Murray courted a lovely young lady named Joan. I attended their wedding in Minneapolis-St. Paul on January 1st because they wanted to marry on a feast day of the Blessed Mother Mary. Not many people choose to marry in Minneapolis on January first, but my friends are not typical people. Among other children, Murray and Joan also had a son, whom they named “John Antony,” but they called him “Jack” at home. I was blessed to be his godfather at his baptism, so now he calls me “padrino” which is Spanish for “godfather.” A few months ago, Jack decided to enter the religious life as a Norbertine brother, and took the name Brother Titus, and I felt so proud of him. I mentioned a letter he sent me in a homily last week. Jack/Br. Titus is as close as I will ever come to having my own son and see him walk in my footsteps. I feel humbled and grateful beyond belief. My friend Murray was an instrument of God’s mercy for me, giving me a gift that was entirely unexpected and definitely undeserved.
Both Old and New Testament scriptures today speak loudly about God’s mercy toward his people when they were far from deserving it. In Daniel we read: “Lord, great and awesome God, you who keep your merciful covenant toward those who love you and observe your commandments.” Remember Daniel was written during the Babylonian captivity, which was  caused by the people’s sins, and for which the people deserved punishment, not clemency or mercy. Nevertheless, God was merciful. And in the gospel of Luke, Jesus teaches: “Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.” In other words, just as God the Father repeatedly shows the people in unexpected and underserving ways his mercy – most perfectly embodied in his son, Jesus – we must show such mercy to each other. My friend Murray’s promise to name his son after me was a moment of such mercy, and exactly what Jesus told us to do for each other.
My friends, may I share a few more examples of mercy so that you might be a little more merciful yourself? Sometimes people come to confession carrying the heavy burden of serious sins and expect the priest to scold them. But exactly the opposite often happens: we try to be gentle, loving and encouraging. In the seminary, they taught us: “Be as mighty as a lion in the pulpit, but as gentle as a lamb in the confessional.” In confession we receive God’s unexpected and undeserved mercy.
It seems to me that marriage presents endless daily opportunities to show little mercies to one’s spouse. Perhaps your husband has hurt you for the hundredth time in the same wounding way. But instead of berating or belittling him, you forgive him again. Perhaps your wife’s need to talk and share every detail of her day causes you impatience and makes you implode inside. But maybe you could smile and listen attentively anyway. Mercy may be small, but it is always significant.
Today, try to notice the many merciful moments you have experienced unexpectedly and undeservedly at the hands of others, and then turn around and do the same. In a word, like Jesus said: “Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.” And by the way, please pray for my godson, Brother Titus. I am pretty proud of him.
Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment