Thursday, October 19, 2017

Mary’s Hand

Finding comfort in Mary in our moments of sorrow
09/15/2017
John 19:25-27 Standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple there whom he loved he said to his mother, "Woman, behold, your son." Then he said to the disciple, "Behold, your mother." And from that hour the disciple took her into his home.

            I’m always so happy to see moms and dad (and grandparents!) attending the school Masses. Today, I want to talk about how wonderful our moms are because today’s is the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows. that’s a title for Mary. Don’t worry, I will talk about our wonderful dads on the Feast of St. Joseph. Don’t cry, dads, you’ll get your turn.

             Boys and girls, how many of you have had a boo-boo lately? Maybe you scraped your arm, or broke your leg, or fell down at recess, or a ball hit your head and gave you a big bump. When you get hurt, who did you want to comfort you: your mom or your dad? Raise your hand if you wanted your dad. Now raise your hand if you wanted your mom. Why do most people want their moms? Well, because mom will hug you and kiss your boo-boo and tell you it’s going to be okay, and give you some chocolate cake to eat so the pain goes away. What will your dad do? He’ll say: “Ah, it’s not that bad, you’ll be fine. No pain, no gain! Rub some dirt on it! There’s no crying in baseball!” And that’s why we want our mom when we’re hurting and not our dads.

             About fifteen years ago, I had to go to the hospital because I had viral meningitis. While I was laying in the hospital bed – like this – I had very painful headaches. I was moaning and groaning because I was hurting. Lots of people came to see me: other priests, friends and family, and even the bishop. But do you know who I wanted to come see me? My mom! And of course, she came and held my hand and gave me some chocolate cake to eat and make me feel better. My dad came too, and brought some dirt and asked where to rub it. Even priests need their moms when they are hurting. We all want our mothers when we hurt.

             In the gospel reading today, Jesus is also hurting because he’s dying on the cross. And who is at his side? It’s his mother, Mary. Just like when you and I are sick or hurting, we want our mother close by, so did Jesus! Jesus is very human and he loved his mother, and his mother loved him. But Jesus is also God, and so he wasn’t just thinking about himself, he was thinking about us. While dying on the cross, the said to John, “This is your mother.” In saying that to John, Jesus was saying that to all of us; Jesus was giving Mary to us as our mother. And Mary is always close to us when we’re hurting like good mothers always are.

             Boys and girls, do you know what this is? I know it looks like a rosary, but for me, it’s really Mother Mary’s hand. What do I mean? Well, every day I pray the rosary, and I feel like I’m holding Mary’s hand. When someone is in the hospital, like Dr. Henry Udouj, I pray for them on my rosary, and it’s as if Mary holds their hand, too. She is close to them when they are sick and hurting. My office is across the parking lot, and from the window I can see people coming to visit the church all day long. Sometimes they are just curious about this big beautiful church and want to see inside or they are passing through as tourists. But most of the time, people come here because they are hurting, and they have lots of problems. When I see them, I pray for them on my rosary, and I ask Mary to hold their hand, too. And she does! We all need our mothers, especially our Mother Mary, when we are hurting.

               Boys and girls, I’m glad you have a beautiful and loving mother to take care of you when you have a boo-boo. But don’t forget that Jesus gave us his mother to be our mother, too. Even if you do forget, though, I’ll remember for you when I pray my rosary every day. And I’ll ask Mother Mary to hold your hand when you are sick or hurting.


Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment