Monday, November 28, 2016

Hair in Heaven

Living on earth by the standards of heaven
Revelation 10:8-11  
          I, John, heard a voice from heaven speak to me. Then the voice spoke to me and said: “Go, take the scroll that lies open in the hand of the angel who is standing on the sea and on the land.” So I went up to the angel and told him to give me the small scroll. He said to me, “Take and swallow it. It will turn your stomach sour, but in your mouth it will taste as sweet as honey.” I took the small scroll from the angel’s hand and swallowed it. In my mouth it was like sweet honey, but when I had eaten it, my stomach turned sour. Then someone said to me, “You must prophesy again about many peoples, nations, tongues, and kings.”   

          Boys and girls, I have some important questions for you today, so put on your thinking caps! But first I want to tell you one question that people often ask me. They ask: “Fr. John, how old will people be in heaven?” Do you know how old you will be in heaven? Let’s do a quick survey. Raise your hand if you think you will be ten years old in heaven. Now, everyone knows that Mrs. B is 39 years old, so raise your hand if you think you’ll be as old as Mrs. B in heaven, that is, 39. Well, do you know what the best answer I’ve heard to that question? St. Thomas Aquinas said we will be 33 years old because that’s how old Jesus was when he went to heaven. My point is that our age on earth and our age in heaven will be different. That’s good news for us old guys!   

          Now, let me ask YOU some questions about heaven. Will there by Americans in heaven? YES! But it won’t really matter if you’re an American, and we won’t do the Pledge of Allegiance in heaven. Will there be Mexicans in heaven? YES, but it won’t matter if you speak English or Spanish. Will there be Cubs fans in heaven? YES, but there will not be any goats in heaven, so relax. Will there by Razorback fans in heaven? YES, that’s why it’s called “Hog Heaven,” but no one will need to call the hogs there. Will there by Republicans in heaven? YES, sorry Democrats. Will there be Democrats in heaven? YES! Sorry, Republicans. All these people will all be there, but it won’t matter if they are Mexicans or Republicans or Razorbacks. They will all love Jesus and they will all love each other, and they will all be 33 years old.

          In the first reading from Revelation, which Fifi Coleman read so nicely, it said: “Keep on telling what will happen to the people of many nations, races, and languages and also to kings.” What St. John means is tell people what heaven will be like and how they will love each other in heaven, so they can love like that on earth. You see, thinking about heaven helps us to know how we should live on earth. We have studied the “seven habits” here in school. Does anyone know what the second habit is? It states: “Begin with the end in mind.” That’s what St. John was saying, too: the end is heaven, so start thinking about heaven and that will help you know how to behave on earth.

          Boys and girls, I want you to measure your earthly behavior be heavenly standards, how things will be in heaven. For example, I’ve got a bald spot on my head. Have you noticed that? But I don’t worry about it. Do you know why I don’t care about that? Because I will have tons of hair when I get to heaven! Like I did when I was 33 years old. I’m trying to let how things will be in heaven guide how I behave on earth. Here’s another example. After the election some people said mean and hurtful things about people from Mexico. Will people talk like that in heaven about each other? No, of course not. So, we shouldn’t talk like that on earth, either. Boys and girls, one reason I love this school so much is that we’re trying to teach you that heavenly standard to live by. I’m so proud of Mrs. B and the teachers and staff who try to model that.

          How old will you be in heaven? Will you call the Hogs in heaven? Will Fr. John have hair in heaven? Think about these questions, and try to live your life by the answers.   


          Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment