Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Other Woman

Never losing our husbands and sons
1 Samuel 1:24-28
In those days, Hannah brought Samuel with her, along with a three-year-old bull, an ephah of flour, and a skin of wine, and presented him at the temple of the LORD in Shiloh.  After the boy’s father had sacrificed the young bull, Hannah, his mother, approached Eli and said: “Pardon, my lord! As you live, my lord, I am the woman who stood near you here, praying to the LORD.  I prayed for this child, and the LORD granted my request.  Now I, in turn, give him to the LORD; as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the LORD.” She left Samuel there.
          Let me ask you a very deep spiritual question. If your son decided to become a priest, would you be happy or sad about it? Well, since you’re sitting in church, you’d probably answer, “Of course, I would be delighted!” But deep down, in your heart of hearts, wouldn’t you also feel a twinge of sadness? I think that’s very natural and normal. My parents love the fact that I’m a priest today, but they were NOT thrilled when I told them that back in high school. Like most parents, my mom especially, they thought they would lose me forever and would never see me again, and they’d see my brother and sisters and the grandkids all the time. But the reality is exactly the reverse! I will always live in Arkansas and can go home at the drop of a hat, and celebrate Mass with my parents. I sometimes take a selfie with mom and dad and send it to my siblings with the caption, “Don’t worry about coming home, mom and dad’s favorite child is here.” You see, when you make a sacrifice for God, he always rewards you a hundred times over, even on the human level, even on the heart level.
          In the readings today we see two women who reap the same rewards of sacrificing their sons but gaining much more in return. Hannah goes to the temple to leave Samuel there to be raised by Eli to be a great prophet. It was clearly a huge loss to Hannah, but because Samuel never married, Hannah never really lost him. Samuel could come home and take selfies with his mother! Mary in the gospel sings, “The Almighty has done great things for me” by making me the mother of Jesus. And even though Mary saw her Son sacrificed on the Cross, she never “lost him” because she never had to share his affections with another woman by marriage. Mary was never a mother-in-law. It’s hard to describe the beautiful bond between a priest and his mother – and much harder between the first Priest and His Mother – especially if the priest never gets married.
          By the way, did you know the Diocese of Little Rock is starting a new diaconate program? I want to encourage you men to consider it. We are blessed here at I.C. to have several dedicated deacons, but that doesn’t mean God isn’t calling more men to that special ministry of service. It’s easy to come up with reasons not to enter the program: “I am too old,” or “I am too young,” or “I am too busy,” or “I am not holy enough.” If that’s what’s holding you back, you don’t know our deacons very well! There are no “perfect candidates” for the diaconate, only men with willing hearts and lots of God’s grace. Just look at Jesus’ first twelve followers. And I would invite you wives also to encourage your husbands. Why? Well because like Hannah and Mary, you will never lose them. What do I mean? Deacons make a promise that if their wife dies, they will never remarry. You will never have to share your husband’s affections with another woman.
          Ladies, next time you take a selfie with your son or with your husband, ask yourself: would you like to see another woman in that picture with her arms around them? I didn’t think so.

          Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment