Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Bus Driver

Making spiritual sense of mass shootings
Luke 3:1-6
In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, and Herod was tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of the regionof Ituraea and Trachonitis,  and Lysanias was tetrarch of Abilene,  during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John the son of Zechariah in the desert. John went throughout the whole region of the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins, as it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah: A voice of one crying out in the desert: “Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths. Every valley shall be filled and every mountain and hill shall be made low. The winding roads shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth, and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.”
          Let me ask you a question: how do you feel these days? I don’t know about you, but after hearing about the mass shooting in San Bernardino, California last Wednesday, I felt like someone has just punched me in the stomach. Again. And my stomach has been in knots ever since. And apparently, I’m not alone in feeling like this. On December 3, the New York Times asked its subscribers this question, “Do you worry about mass shootings?” Here are a few of the responses.  26 year-old Damien said, “Anytime a colleague or friend is let go from a job, I’m afraid they are going to come back into my office and shoot up the entire office.” Ever feel like that? 17 year-old Andrew answered, “I am tired of being scared. I want to go to college next year and feel safe, but I don’t.” Any young people feel that way? A proactive professor said, “I am a teacher. I constantly rehearse in my mind what steps I would take to protect me and my kids from a shooter.” And 58 year-old Paula said, “I think about it anytime we are in public, particularly in crowds. I no longer feel safe anywhere.” Do any of these comments capture how you feel these days?
          And then a really low blow came when the New York Daily News – a liberal leaning paper – touted the headline, “God Isn’t Fixing This.” God isn’t fixing this. Basically, they were accusing conservative politicians of hiding behind pious platitudes – like “let’s pray about this” – instead of enacting tighter gun legislation. But however off the mark that headline was, haven’t you also sometimes wondered, “Why DOESN’T God fix this??” And to top it all off, we’re in the middle of Advent, a time of hope and joy and especially peace! But peace is the last thing we feel. I don’t know about you, but it sure doesn’t feel much like Christmas time to me. Does it to you?
          In the gospel reading today we see John announcing the coming of Christ to begin his public ministry, and those days didn’t feel very “Christmasy” either. The gospel begins by introducing the key characters who would play pivotal roles in the birth and death of John and Jesus. We hear about Caesar, who took the world-wide census, and about Pontius Pilate, who washed his hands of guilt. There’s Herod who would have John beheaded in prison, and Anna and Caiaphas who conspired to crucify Christ. In other words, the first time Christ came into the world, there was corruption and greed in government from top to bottom, and I’m sure many people felt exactly the same as those subscribers to the New York Times; people were scared. And one or two pundits in Palestine in the first century surely must have said, “God isn’t fixing this!”
          But John the Baptist came to preach a different message. He said, “Every valley shall be filled and every mountain and hill shall be made low. The winding roads shall be made straight and the rough ways made smooth, and all flesh shall see the salvation of our God.” That is, in spite of the worst that the world can throw at us, God’s plans and purposes will not be thwarted. You see, John’s message rang through the mountains of the Middle East and boldly proclaimed, “GOD IS FIXING THIS!” Or, as our Evangelical friends like to say, “When you’re down to nothing, God is up to something!” In other words, God’s plans always prevail, but they do so often in humble and hidden and hum-drum ways, and you need the eyes of faith to see them. Otherwise, all you see are terrorists and mass shootings.
          I’m a big fan of the sit-com called “Seinfeld.” Now, that show is not fit for most of you, so you should not watch it! Only priests can watch it. (Just kidding.) Arguably one of the best episodes ever was when Kramer saves a lady’s pinky toe after it’s been run over by a street-cleaner, then he fights off a mugger on a bus, and then actually drives the bus to the hospital. In the middle of his story, Kramer dramatically declares, “Jerry, the bus was outta control!”  Remember that line?  You know, a lot of people may feel that way today, thinking, “Our country is out of control!” or “Our world is out of control!” But do you know what I always tell people who feel like their life is out of control? I remind them, “The Holy Spirit is still driving the bus.” The Holy Spirit is still driving the bus. Why do I say that? Because when the Holy Spirit is driving the bus, John’s prophecy comes true: “The winding roads shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth, and all flesh shall see the salvation of our God.” In other words, when the Holy Spirit drives the bus, it doesn’t get out of control, because the Spirit’s driving makes the road straight and smooth.
          May I share with you a few places where I see the Holy Spirit driving the bus? Well, 2,000 years ago, the Spirit was driving the bus when a baby was born in Bethlehem, and Jesus Christ was crucified in Jerusalem. Yes, he was driving back then. But I see the Spirit driving the bus today too in a pope who preaches love for the poor. I see the Spirit driving the bus in husbands and wives who forgive each other and try to save their marriages. I see the Spirit driving the bus in young people thinking about becoming a priest or nun. I see the Spirit driving the bus in parents who make sacrifices to send their children to Catholic schools. I see the Spirit driving the bus when a mother chooses to keep her baby rather than get an abortion. I see the Spirit driving the bus when Catholics choose to go to Mass instead of staying home and watching football or go hunting. I see the Spirit driving the bus in a teenage girl who asked for a priest to come see her in a mental hospital, and now comes to Mass every Sunday.
          You see, it takes the eyes of faith to see how the Spirit is driving the bus. If you look through the eyes of faith, you’ll see how “God is fixing this.” Otherwise, you’ll just dramatically declare, “Jerry, the bus is outta control!” What do you see?


          Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment