Tuesday, March 3, 2015

A Test for Two

Remembering we’re not alone in temptations
Genesis 2:15-17

The LORD God then took the man and settled him in the garden of Eden, to cultivate and care for it. The LORD God gave man this order: “You are free to eat from any of the trees of the garden except the tree of knowledge of good and evil.  From that tree you shall not eat; the moment you eat from it you are surely doomed to die.”

             For 3 years I taught Latin at St. Joseph Catholic School in Fayetteville, and I loved every minute of it!  In fact teaching was my back-up plan in seminary, in case this priesthood gig didn’t work out.  My Plan B was to become a college philosophy professor, marry a good Catholic girl and have 20 kids.  Unfortunately Michelle Dugger was Baptist, so my priestly vocation was pretty safe!  As a teacher, I loved to give popquizzes, but my students hated it.  I tried to comfort them by explaining: do you know who is really being tested every time a student takes a test?  It’s not only the student; it’s also the teacher.  I don’t give a test just to see all of you fail, because that means I’ve also failed as a teacher.  A great teacher is best measured by the greatness of his or her students.  You see, every test is take by the student AND the teacher.

            In the first reading from Genesis we hear about the very first test that human students ever had to take.  (Remember the angels had already been tested.)  Genesis says, “The Lord God gave man this order (really this test): ‘You are free to eat from any of the trees of the garden except the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  From that tree you shall not eat; the moment you eat from it you are surely doomed to die.”  Adam and Eve probably saw that test like my Latin students saw my popquizzes, thinking: “That’s easy for him to say, he’s the teacher!  He’s not the one being tested and tempted!”  But good teachers care about test results as much as students.  And the best teachers care about test results even more than their students.  And to show that every test is taken by two, God sent his Son to take the same test as Adam and Eve, and to die on the Cross – the true tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  Every test is taken by two.

             You know, being a teacher has taught me that in all my tests and temptations, I am not alone.  Oh, I’m not talking about taking the SAT or the GRE, but rather all the daily popquizzes that we face constantly: when our trust is tested hearing a loved one has cancer; when our patience is tested when someone cuts us off in traffic; when our joy is tested dealing with depression or dementia; when our faith is tested seeing scandals and sins in the Church.  When you take all these tests, know that you are not alone.  The divine Teacher is also being tested, and he wants you to pass this test even more than you do, so he’ll give you all the grace you need to succeed.  If you don’t believe me, just look at the Cross.  Every great teacher is measured by the greatness of his students.


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment