Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Gettin Ziggy

Learning how to have the mind of Christ

1 Corinthians 2:10B-16
Brothers and sisters: The Spirit scrutinizes everything, even the depths of God. Among men, who knows what pertains to the man except his spirit that is within? Similarly, no one knows what pertains to God except the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand the things freely given us by God. And we speak about them not with words taught by human wisdom, but with words taught by the Spirit, describing spiritual realities in spiritual terms. Now the natural man does not accept what pertains to the Spirit of God, for to him it is foolishness, and he cannot understand it, because it is judged spiritually. The one who is spiritual, however, can judge everything but is not subject to judgment by anyone. For “who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to counsel him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

              I am what you might call “a binge reader.”  When I find an author I like, I read as many books by him or her as I can find until I learn how they think.  There always comes a point when I can almost guess what they will write next, and then I stop buying their books.  Why?  Well, because I have their mind, their basic message.  I’ve read enough books by C. S. Lewis, Scott Hahn, Joseph Pieper, Fulton Sheen, Thomas Aquinas and Janet Smith so that when they “zig” I zig with them; when they “zag” I zag with them.  I get to a point where I catch not only WHAT they are saying, but WHY they are saying it.  Now, this is not the same as imitating someone or aping their language and mannerisms.  Some people say I sound like Barak Obama.  I say, how do you know he doesn’t sound like me?  Believe me, there are some things in which Obama will “zig" and I would rather “zag.”  If you’re a binge reader, like me, you not only learn how your favorite authors think, you begin to think like they do.

            This is the whole reason we should read the Bible avidly and study it assiduously: so we think like God does.  St. Paul tells the Corinthians: “For ‘who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to counsel him?’ But we have the mind of Christ.”  Did you catch that: we have the mind of Christ.  One great way to have the mind of Christ is to read the book written by his Holy Spirit.  And if you read it regularly and religiously, when Jesus zigs, you will zig and when he zags, you will zag.  Having someone’s mind requires more than knowledge, however, it also demands love.  The evil spirits in the gospel knew who Jesus was, but they did not love our Lord.  When Jesus zigs, the evil spirits zag.  The evil spirits do not want to think like Christ.

            Who do you think like?  We’d all like to answer, “Well, I think like Jesus, of course!”  One good test to see how your brain is wired is to ask yourself: “what am I reading these days?”  How often do I read the Bible?  Are you more interested in reading the NYTimes, the Huffington Post, Sports Illustrated, Ducks Unlimited, or popular bloggers like Grammar Girl or Priestdude, or comic strips like Ziggy?  As good as those are, be careful: the more you read by a given author, the more you begin to think like they do.  I’m sorry, but Ziggy will not help you to “zig” when Jesus “zigs.”

            Today, make a commitment to read and study the Bible.  Become a binge reader of the Bible.  Otherwise, there is no way you will have the mind of Christ.  St. Jerome, who translated the Bible into Latin, said: “Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ.”


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment