Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Left Behind

Mentoring the next generation as our legacy

1 Kings 19:19-21
 Elijah set out, and came upon Elisha, son of Shaphat, as he was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen; he was following the twelfth. Elijah went over to him and threw his cloak over him. Elisha left the oxen, ran after Elijah, and said, “Please, let me kiss my father and mother goodbye, and I will follow you.” Elijah answered, “Go back!  Have I done anything to you?” Elisha left him and, taking the yoke of oxen, slaughtered them; he used the plowing equipment for fuel to boil their flesh, and gave it to his people to eat. Then he left and followed Elijah as his attendant.

             How can you tell a really good teacher from a mediocre one?  It’s not by the degrees hanging on their walls, or by the variety of colors they use on their dry-erase board, or even by the number of years they have taught.  You judge a teacher by their students.  When we have school Masses, I love to ask the kids questions.  Do you know who really gets nervous when a student raises their hand?  It’s the teachers and parents!  I’ve seen a few parents quickly pull down their child’s hand to stop them from answering.  They know the answer will say more about the parent or teacher than the child.  Those are the kids I always call on.  Vernell Bowen, the Superintendent of Catholic Schools, told me that from a principal’s first day on the job he or she must start looking for their replacement.  Principals, too, must teach and mentor future principals.  In the seminary they told us it’s not good enough to be a humble and holy priest.  You must also inspire another young man to be a priest to replace you someday.  You see, your real legacy is not you, but what you have taught someone else, your legacy is who you leave behind.

             Today’s first reading is about the call of Elisha the prophet.  But did you notice how God’s call comes through Elijah, who throws the prophetic mantle over Elisha’s shoulders?  Elijah knew well that a teacher is best judged by the caliber of his students, so he began to mentor, tutor and teach Elisha to be even greater than Elijah.  Elijah’s greatest achievement would not be defeating the prophets of Baal, or making it rain, or miraculously giving food to the widow of Zarepath, but by the one who would replace him as prophet.  We will all be judged by our legacy: not WHAT we left behind, but WHO we left behind.

             This standard of evaluation is something we should try to apply to ourselves.  Each of us has a sacred responsibility to mentor the next generation; to raise up the world’s future prophets and principals and pastors.  No one gets an exemption.  I believe this is one reason grandparents dote on their grandkids.  Grandparents realize they were more or less successful raising their own kids, so grandkids are a chance for a “do-over” in parenting, in mentoring the next generation.  Let me leave you with this little poem that drives home the same point called, “The Little Chap Who Follows Me.”  It goes:

 A careful man I want to be;
A little fellow follows me.
I do not dare to go astray
For fear he’ll go the self-same way.

I cannot once escape his eyes.
Whate’er he sees me do, he tries.
Like me he says he’s going to be;
The little chap who follows me.

He thinks that I’m so very fine,
Believes in every word of mine.
The base in me he must not see;
The little chap who follows me.

I must remember as I go
Through summer’s sun and winter’s snow,
I’m building for the years to be;
The little chap who follows me.

In the final analysis, we will all be judged not by what we left behind, but by who we left behind.


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment