Thursday, June 5, 2014

Back In the Day

Accepting the graces of our past
John 17:11B-13,17-19
Lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed, saying: “Holy Father, keep them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one just as we are one… Consecrate them in the truth.  Your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world. And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth.”

             Do you ever look back at your youth and shake your head in disbelief at some of the things you did?  Heck, sometimes, I shake my head at some of the things I did yesterday!  I often think of that classic scene from the movie, “It’s a Wonderful Life.”  Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed are walking home from a dance and it’s very romantic.  The moon is hanging low, love is in the air, and the young couple is lost in conversation.  Suddenly, an older man watching them from his front porch shouts, “Ah, why don’t you go on and kiss her?!”  Jimmy Stewart yells back, “I’ll show you some kissing that’ll put some hair on your head!”  Then the old guy says, “Ah, youth is wasted on the young.”  What a great line, “Youth is wasted on the young.”  As we reminisce over our life, we may feel some of our youth was wasted when we were young.  As he neared the end of his life, St. Thomas Aquinas received a glimpse of the Beatific Vision; he saw God.  That experience prompted him to say, “Everything I have written is like so much straw compared to what I have seen.”  Maybe Aquinas looked back at his life an shook his head at what he had written.

             Whenever I hear today’s gospel passage, I smile.  When I was ordained I had a small card made to remember the occasion.  On the back of the card I had quoted this gospel from John 17: “Consecrate them in the truth.  Your word is truth.  As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world.  And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth.”  Now I think: Seriously?  That’s the best Scripture verse I could come up with for my ordination??  Of course, there are no “bad Bible verses,” but couldn’t I have picked a more catchy quote?

             I think we have to be very careful not to be too hard on our youth, not to be too critical of our past.  We can be guilty of “chronological snobbery,” where we judge the past too harshly because of all the mistakes we made and how much more we know today.  Maybe back in the day we did the best we could with the graces God had given us, and that’s okay.  Be careful not to fall into the temptation to wish you could go back and change your past.  Indeed, isn’t it precisely all your choices – both the good and the bad – that have made you the person you are today?

             Maybe it was everything Aquinas had written – all that straw – that prepared him to glimpse the Face of God.  Maybe it was all the mistakes the old bald guy had made as a kid that helped him see that youth is wasted on the young.  Maybe John 17 is the best Scripture quote for an ordination card, at least it is for my ordination card, “Consecrate them in the truth.”


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment