Monday, April 17, 2023

The Opposition

Enduring the resistance for doing right

03/31/2023

Jn 10:31-42 The Jews picked up rocks to stone Jesus. Jesus answered them, "I have shown you many good works from my Father. For which of these are you trying to stone me?" The Jews answered him, "We are not stoning you for a good work but for blasphemy. You, a man, are making yourself God." Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, 'You are gods"'? If it calls them gods to whom the word of God came, and Scripture cannot be set aside, can you say that the one whom the Father has consecrated and sent into the world blasphemes because I said, 'I am the Son of God'? If I do not perform my Father's works, do not believe me; but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may realize and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father." Then they tried again to arrest him; but he escaped from their power. He went back across the Jordan to the place where John first baptized, and there he remained. Many came to him and said, "John performed no sign, but everything John said about this man was true." And many there began to believe in him.

One of the surest signs that you are doing the right thing is opposition. That is, other people don’t like it, and try to oppose you, and even try to stop you. Bishop Taylor loves to remind us priests that if our preaching doesn’t make someone unhappy, we’re not preaching right. If everyone loves everything you say, then you’re doing it wrong. The ancient adage about what makes a good homily is that it comforts the afflicted and it afflicts the comfortable. In other words, every good sermon should make you squirm in your pews a little, and create a little opposition.

I remember how opposition helped me know I was doing the right thing in becoming a priest. I was a junior in high school when I decided to tell my family I wanted to become a priest and go into the seminary. I can still remember where everyone was sitting at the dining room table at dinner that night, and how each person reacted to the news. My mom had tears rolling down her face. I’m sure they were tears of joy. My dad is the strong silent type. My younger sister was happy for me.

But my older brother was in college at the time, and I’ll never forget what he said. He half-taunted me saying: “Oh, John, after a year in college, you’ll change your mind!” I was always wondered what was he doing in college? Well, I heard that as a challenge, and I decided to stick it out in the seminary, just to spite him.

Ironically, my brother’s comment – almost like an opposition – turned out to be a great stimulus and motivator for me to persevere in the seminary. In a sense, his sarcasm saved my vocation. That was an example of how opposition is a sure sign that you are doing the right thing.

In the gospel today Jesus also meets very fierce opposition to his vocation. We read, “The Jews picked up rocks to stone him.” And notice what Jesus asked them, “I have shown you many good works from my Father. For which of these are you trying to stone me?” In other words, there is often a clear correlation and connection between good doing and the opposition that it generates.

And this opposition to goodness would culminate on the cross. How so? Well the greatest good deed ever done in history was Jesus’ sacrificial death on the cross. And it was met by great opposition, from virtually everyone, even Jesus’ apostles, except for his Mother Mary and the beloved disciple, John. Everyone else had abandoned our Lord for that good work of salvation.

I am sure you have heard of the school shooting in Nashville, Tennessee by now. A transgender man, meaning he was born a female, named Audrey Elizabeth Hale, attacked a Presbyterian parochial school, called The Covenant School, on March 27. She killed 6 people before the police shot and killed her. The motive for the shooting is still under investigation. We are not sure what all motivated her.

But I suspect that at least part of the reason is because of the Christian teaching on being created male and female in the image of God. And that teaching is a good thing, because it is what helps us to feel whole and happy. But it is met with opposition, like it was on March 27. Audrey did not pick up stones, she picked up an AR-15 rifle.

And that was a tragic event, to be sure, but it should not entirely shock or surprise us. Why not? Well, whenever we do something good, or teach something good, it will be met with opposition. One of my favorite Scripture passages is John 16:33, where Jesus assures his apostles at the Last Supper: “In this world you will have trouble – you will have opposition – but take heart, I have overcome the world.”

Boys and girls, have you ever thought about all the sacrifices we do during Lent? We don’t eat meat on the Fridays of Lent. We fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. We make personal sacrifices like giving up chocolate, or video games, or social media, or TV or the like. Why do we make all these sacrifices? Do we Catholic Christians just enjoy being miserable? No.

These sacrifices are designed to teach us how to handle suffering. Why do we need to learn how to suffer? Well, because our job as Christians is to share the Good News, to teach the truth, and do good works, just like Jesus did. And what will happen when we do good works? We will meet with opposition and resistance. People will pick up stones or they will pick up AR-15 rifles. And ironically, that will be the sure sign that you are doing the right thing.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment