Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Self-care of Salvation

Old dogs learning new tricks from new dogs

01/01/2023

Lk 2:16-21 The shepherds went in haste to Bethlehem and found Mary and Joseph, and the infant lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known the message that had been told them about this child. All who heard it were amazed by what had been told them by the shepherds. And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart. Then the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, just as it had been told to them. When eight days were completed for his circumcision, he was named Jesus, the name given him by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

There is an old saying that “you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.” Have you ever heard that adage? Well, with all due respect to that age-old wisdom, I totally disagree because my new dog, Apollo, is teaching this old dog, Fr. John, a lot of new tricks. For example, he is teaching me patience because he does not do what I say. He is teaching me how to pick up poop, and how to clean his pee on carpet. He is teaching me the joy of loyal companionship. He is teaching me unconditional love because of how happy he is to see me every day. And perhaps above all, he is teaching me self-care. What does that mean?

In an ironic role-reversal of teacher and student, Apollo has become my mentor and taught me that I must take time to care for Fr. John. For instance, even though I am walking him, I am the one who is getting out of the office to take a break. While I play with him, I am the one who forgets the worries and woes of pastoral ministry. Most of my priest-friends who hear I got a dog exclaim: “John would never get a dog!” Why not? Well, because I don’t take time for myself, and instead tend to work 24/7. In other words, the new trick this old dog (Fr. John) is learning is how to take care of myself. It’s funny how a new dog is teaching an old dog a new trick.

In the gospel today we see a new Baby teaching some old men a new trick as well; indeed, it is the most important trick in the book, namely, the trick of salvation. Shepherds come in haste to Bethlehem to see the new born King. Why? Well, they believed the message of the angels who had told them the Child would save Israel and all the nations from their sins. In other words, the ultimate form of self-care is not getting a dog or a two-week vacation or a full-body massage. Rather, it is salvation from our sins. The ultimate form of self-care is being saved from sin.

And notice, too, how it was a Baby that would teach some old dogs (the shepherds) this new trick, namely, the self-care called salvation. How ironic that the shepherds and Magi, and Joseph and Mary, all believed they would care for the Christ Child, as they feed him, and protect him, and sing to him. When in reality is it the Christ Child who is taking care of them by teaching them the only truly new trick called salvation. My dog is teaching me the trick of self-care, and the new Baby of Bethlehem is teaching the world the trick of self-care called salvation.

Let me point out two practical ways we can apply this lesson of old dogs learning new tricks to our daily lives. The first is that no one is ever too old to learn the trick of salvation. My favorite story about Fort Smith is about the deathbed conversion of Judge Isaac Parker, the infamous Hanging Judge. By the way, his statue is right outside the south side of the church, across Garrison Avenue, he’s seated facing the church. He was not a Catholic all his life, nor did he care for the Church. But he had the good fortune of marrying a beautiful, red-headed Irish lass named Mary O’Toole.

Mary prayed fervently for her husband to become a Catholic. And finally on his deathbed he rasped: “Mary, get the priest!” The pastor of IC, Fr. Lawrence Smyth, ran down Garrison Avenue, gave Isaac Parker the sacraments of the Church, and the old dog died in God’s good graces. Isaac Parker did not meet the eternal Hanging Judge on Judgment Day, but rather the merciful Savior. So, don’t give up on your family and friends (or yourself) if people stop going to church. Old dogs can learn new tricks.

The second application of this lesson is for New Year’s Day, that is, today. Many people make New Year’s Day resolutions, like exercising more, or going on a diet, or spending more time with family and friends, or learning a musical instrument, or mastering a new language. Those are all good goals to shoot for in 2023, and all good efforts at self-care. But there is another New Year’s resolution that is even better, namely, learning the self-care called salvation. Why’s that? Well, because it seems we are constantly forgetting this trick and having to relearn it.

Every year, I watch many Catholics go through RCIA together with spouses or boyfriends or girlfriends who want to become Catholic. At some point in the RCIA classes, the Catholic will say something like, “I never knew we believed all that!” It is as if we are hearing our Catholic faith for the first time. But we’re not. We were taught our faith in Catholic schools and in religious education classes. But sometimes we forget it in the midst of all the glitter and glamor of the world.

We cradle Catholics are old dogs learning the new trick of salvation from people who are “new dogs” in the Catholic world. This New Year make a resolution to relearn your Catholic faith by participating in a Bible study, or reading a good Catholic book. I highly recommend anything by Bishop Robert Barron or Matthew Kelly. And may find yourself exclaiming: “I never knew we believed all that!” You will see that old dogs can learn new tricks.

I am grateful to my new dog, Apollo, for teaching this old dog, Fr. John, a lot of new tricks, especially the trick of self-care. When I care for him, I likewise care for myself. And I am eternally grateful to the Baby Jesus for teaching this old priest, like he taught those old shepherds, the self-care called salvation. Salvation is by far the best trick in the book.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment