Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Rearing Rebels

Fathering the future with hope and peace

03/30/2021

Jn 13:21-38 Reclining at table with his disciples, Jesus was deeply troubled and testified, “Amen, amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me.” One of his disciples, the one whom Jesus loved, was reclining at Jesus’ side. So Simon Peter nodded to him to find out whom he meant. He leaned back against Jesus’ chest and said to him, “Master, who is it?” Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I hand the morsel after I have dipped it.” So he dipped the morsel and took it and handed it to Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot. After Judas took the morsel, Satan entered him. So Jesus said to him, “What you are going to do, do quickly.” So Judas took the morsel and left at once. And it was night. When he had left, Jesus said, “My children, I will be with you only a little while longer. You will look for me, and as I told the Jews, ‘Where I go you cannot come,’ so now I say it to you.” Simon Peter said to him, “Master, where are you going?” Jesus answered him, “Where I am going, you cannot follow me now, though you will follow later.” Peter said to him, “Master, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Amen, amen, I say to you, the cock will not crow before you deny me three times.”

Isn’t it fascinating how children from the same parents can turn out to be so different? Parents try their best to raise their children right. They try to provide the best food, shelter and clothing. They send them to the best schools – like Immaculate Conception and Trinity, of course! They teach them right from wrong, and how to love God and their neighbor and the poor. Even though they love their children more than life itself, still each child turns out very differently, each with his or her own personality, priorities and pursuits.

My own family is a clear case in point. My parents raised me, my older brother and younger sister giving all three of us the best they had. They undertook the amazing adventure of leaving their home country and living in a foreign land to give us opportunities they never had. And each of us responded to their rearing differently. I pursued the priesthood, my brother studied electrical engineering and my sister chose a career in communication. But clearly I was my parents’ favorite (just kidding). Parents try very hard not to play favorites, but rather want each child to know they are loved unconditionally. Parents only want a future filled with happiness, success and love for each child. That is what my parents wanted for us, and what all parents desire deeply for each child they bring into the world.

The gospel of John today presents us with a portrait of two apostles: Judas and Peter. We could even say a portrait of three apostles because John is narrating the scene of the Last Supper and makes a conspicuous cameo appearance. Jesus is clearly the Teacher and the apostles are the students or disciples. But in another sense, Jesus is like a father who is raising his sons to become mature men of faith. The Second Vatican Council characterized the relationship between bishops and priests like that between father and son. Like all good parents, Jesus, too, gave his sons/apostles the best he had: making personal sacrifices, teaching, correcting and encouraging, and most especially leading by example, like when he washed their feet at the Last Supper and commanded them to do likewise.

Even though Jesus gave all 12 sons the best he had, they all still turned out so differently. Today we see a low point for two of the Twelve: Judas and Peter. Jesus predicts that both of them will turn their backs on him. Judas will betray Jesus and Peter will deny Jesus. And up to the last moment Jesus held out hope for them. When Jesus handed the morsel of bread dipped in the lamb sauce and gave it to Judas, he was not only indicating who would betray him. That was also a gesture of intimate and loving friendship, like when my father gives me a little food from his dinner plate. I always say: “No way, dad! I read the bible and I know what happens if I take that bite!”

In other words, Jesus was inviting Judas to reconsider his plan to betray his Lord and Savior. Like all good parents Jesus only wanted a future for each of his apostles/sons filled with happiness, love and success. Nonetheless, each one turned out so differently. And John would even make a parenthetical comment in today’s gospel: “One of his disciples, the one whom Jesus loved, was reclining at his side.” Put in plain English: I am obviously the favorite.

My friends, when we study the life and ministry of Jesus and his apostles we not only get a glimpse of the life of the Church, we also see a snapshot of normal family life. Indeed, parish life and family life are very close correlatives, as Vatican II suggested comparing bishops and priests to fathers and sons. I hope today’s gospel will give some comfort and encouragement to all parents doing the best they can to raise their children right and yet they all turn out so differently. Even though you give them the best food, shelter and clothes, the best education, the best of yourself and surround them with only positive influences, they still have their own personalities, priorities and pursuits. You cannot control the outcome of their lives, no matter how hard you try, just like Jesus did not control the outcome of his apostles’ lives, even though he tried.

Today, let us pray for our precious children, our beloved parents, our blessed siblings, and for each other: brothers and sisters in Christ. God, our heavenly Father, only wants to give us a future filled with happiness, success and love. May we want that future too, at least half as much as he does.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment