Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Call Mom


Praying the rosary for our brothers and sisters
10/07/2019

Acts of Apostles 1:12-14 After Jesus had been taken up into heaven, the Apostles returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a sabbath day's journey away. When they entered the city they went to the upper room where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James son of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James. All these devoted themselves with one accord to prayer, together with some women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.
A funny thing happens every time I call my parents in Little Rock. Do you know who invariably answers the phone? I’ll give you one guess. It’s my mom. Is that just me, or does that happen to every household: the phone rings and the woman runs to answer the phone. I’m sorry if that sounds a little sexist, but it’s kind of true. And after talking to mom for ten or fifteen minutes she hands the phone to dad, who usually complains that he has nothing to add because mom already told me all the news! Can anyone else see a rather simple solution to my dad’s dilemma? Answer the phone first.
But as I visit with my mom she eventually asks the dreaded question: when was the last time I talked to my brother or sister? A pang of guilt shoots through my heart, when I have to confess it’s been days, maybe even weeks, since I texted or talked to them. I am sure a pang of hurt shoots through my mom’s heart when she hears my answer. Perhaps the only thing a parent desires more than their child’s individual happiness is their collective happiness, that is, that they love each other and take care of each other. Behind every question my mom asks about how well I am doing looms the other question – are you loving your brother and sister?
Today’s first reading is taken from a very significant spot in the first chapter of the Acts of the Apostles. Jesus has ascended into heaven and the apostles gather with Mary, Jesus’ mother, in the upper room to pray. You might recall at the crucifixion that Jesus entrusted his mother Mary to John, the beloved disciple, which is to say to all of us, who are Jesus’ beloved disciples. Consequently, she is not just Jesus’ mother, or John’s spiritual mother, but she’s the mother of all of us, Jesus’ little brothers and sisters.
What results from prayer in union with Mary in the Upper Room? The following verses (which we did not read unfortunately), verses 15-26, describe the desire of Peter and the others to replace Judas, inspired by Mary. They elect Matthias by drawing lots, an answer to Mary’s prayers. In other words, Mary, like every good mother, not only cares about the happiness of the individual apostles, but also about the “college of apostles,” and completing their highly symbolic number at twelve. Mary cares deeply about the happiness and the holiness of the whole family of God, that brothers and sisters love each other.
October 7th every year is the feast of the Holy Rosary, and it is by far my favorite devotion to Mary. I try to pray the rosary daily. Spiritually-speaking, I look at the rosary as a chain that helps me hang on to Mother Mary and my heavenly destiny. Don’t let go of the rosary! The rosary guides my steps on earth because it teaches me how to walk in the footsteps of Jesus and Mary as I meditate on the mysteries of their holy lives and even their holy deaths – that is, Jesus’ death and Mary’s dormition.
But I also look at the rosary like a phone I can use to call Mother Mary. The rosary is my spiritual cell phone and my plan is “unlimited everything” (as people say). I love praying the rosary every day because it makes me feel like I am connecting with my spiritual mother, Mary. Just like my mom, Mary runs to pick up the phone and chat with me, and she runs faster than all the other saints combined. She is deeply interested in how I am doing, my happiness and my holiness.
But when I stop talking and start listening to Mary’s voice, I hear that dreaded question, almost the exact same question my mom in Little Rock asks me: when was the last time you talked to your brothers and sisters? In other words, how am I loving my neighbor, my brother and sister in Christ? And again, a pang of guilt shoots through my heart when I remember all the people I fail to love as I should. I am sure that doesn’t make Mother Mary feel great either.
On this feast of the Rosary, perhaps we can at least pray for the people we need to love a little more. And since charity begins at home, perhaps we should start by calling or texting our own natural siblings. That will make both moms smile, and get rid of that pang I feel in my heart.
Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment