Monday, December 4, 2023

Routine of Religion

Doing our Christian duty with diligence and determination

11/14/2023

Lk 17:7-10 Jesus said to the Apostles: "Who among you would say to your servant who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field, 'Come here immediately and take your place at table'? Would he not rather say to him, 'Prepare something for me to eat. Put on your apron and wait on me while I eat and drink. You may eat and drink when I am finished'? Is he grateful to that servant  because he did what was commanded? So should it be with you. When you have done all you have been commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.'"

There is a real danger for us diocesan priests that religion can become routine. I suppose that same danger lurks for you Catholics who come to daily Mass, too. Priests and laity alike can allow ourselves to just go through the motions of the Mass, almost unconscious of what we are saying or doing, like going through a carwash.

Archbishop Fulton Sheen captured this pitfall with a pithy saying. He observed: “Jewelers become used to fine diamonds.” Whereas some Catholics come to Mass with a spirit of awe and reverence (like new Catholics do), to some old priests and people the Mass feels like just “another day at the office” and a box we check off in a long list of other routine boxes we have for the day.

I will never forget a priest in the seminary warned us: “Gentlemen, the day will come when you are tried after three Masses on Sunday, and you get to the end of the third Mass and ask yourself, ‘Did I say the words of consecration over the wine?’” I couldn’t believe that could ever happen to me. I guess that might be comparable to how married couples can get used to making love. Can that become routine?

That is when I made a promise to myself that I would say the words of consecration closely and deliberately so I made sure they were said. Sometimes when I take the Hosts back to the tabernacle after Communion, I smile at Jesus remember what the priest said in seminary, and I say: “Well, Lord, that day hasn’t come yet! I remember consecrating the wine!” That is, I haven’t gotten used to the fine diamond that is the Mass yet, but that temptation is still a real danger.

In the gospel today Jesus teaches his disciples the importance of dong their duty diligently. He says: “When you have one wall you have been commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.’” That is, do not get a big head or grow arrogant about your priestly ministry. Yes, you are handling diamonds of faith: baptism, weddings, Masses, funerals, confessions, etc. But also stay steadfast and faithful, vigilant and conscientious.

When a man is ordained, the bishop sternly advises him of this duty: “Receive the oblation (bread and wine) of the holy people to be offered to God. Understand what you do, imitate what you celebrate, and conform your life to the mystery of the Lord’s cross.” In other words, do your duty diligently, and never get used to these fine diamonds of faith that you handle every day.

Let me give you some examples of how easily religion can become routine. I remarked to the ladies in the office last week that Monday through Friday I prepare 5 to 6 couples for marriage, every Saturday I celebrate a wedding, and each Sunday afternoon I write annulment decrees. We are a full service shop! We can get you in and get you out.

Yesterday at noon we celebrated the baptism of 18 month-old baby Warren Upchurch. It was an urgent baptism because Warren’s cancer had returned and it was very severe. Today we will have the funeral of 57 year-old Jeff Herrell, whose passing has deeply saddened many people in our community.

These are the fine diamonds of people’s life – not always happy occasions – but always filled with grace and God’s presence. But it takes the eyes of faith to see the “diamond in the rough” of our lives. That is why we repeated in the Responsorial Psalm, "I will bless the Lord at all times.” Why?

Because, the Psalmist answers: “The Lord is close to the broken hearted; and those who are crushed in spirit he saves.” Yes, religion can become routine for all of us, just like love can become routine for married couples. But that is no excuse to become lax and lazy; instead, “I will bless the Lord at all times.”

Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment