Thursday, June 22, 2023

Raised Eyebrows

Checking our level of commitment to Christ

06/13/2023

2 Cor 1:18-22 Brothers and sisters: As God is faithful, our word to you is not "yes" and "no." For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was proclaimed to you by us, Silvanus and Timothy and me, was not "yes" and "no," but "yes" has been in him. For however many are the promises of God, their Yes is in him; therefore, the Amen from us also goes through him to God for glory. But the one who gives us security with you in Christ and who anointed us is God; he has also put his seal upon us and given the Spirit in our hearts as a first installment.

Sometimes we underestimate the level of commitment required for certain tasks. This is why most men are inherently intimidated by the c-word, that is, commitment. I think I underestimated the level of commitment required to adopt a dog, like my beloved Apollo. I remember distinctly at the shelter the female employee asking me, “Have you ever had a dog before?” I said, “No.” She raised one eyebrow. Then she asked, “Are you sure you can commit to taking care of your dog for the next 13 to 15 years?” And I answered, “Sure.” Then she raised her other eyebrow.

And I could tell from the look on her face that she was thinking: “This guy has no clue what he is getting himself into.” Suddenly, I realized that is the exact same look and smile I give young couples preparing for marriage who over-confidently answer: “Sure, we can live together for the rest of our lives and love and honor each other!”

But the shelter did not take my answer at face value. They vetted me. They made me fill out a lengthy questionnaire about where I lived, who I lived with, the kind of yard I had, even the type and height of fencing around the yard. They asked for three people as references, and they called these people, too. I said astonished to a friend, “This is harder than the process to enter seminary!” And my replied, “That explains a few things, doesn’t it?”

And the shelter also insisted that if I did not want the dog, I would have to return him to the shelter, so they could likewise vet the next potential owner. Why did the shelter go to such lengths to check out the dog owner? Simple: they wanted to see my level of commitment. Or, see if I was a typical male who was intimidated by the c-word.

In the first reading today from 2 Corinthians 1, St. Paul is also inviting his newly formed community in Corinth to check their level of commitment to Christ. He writes: “As God is faithful our word to you is not ‘yes’ and ‘no’.” Then he explains that just like Jesus was always “yes” to God, so St. Paul is always “yes” to God, and to those he has evangelized.

But God’s unconditional “yes” awaits a similar echo of “yes’ from us. In other words, we, too, must be transformed into another Christ – and into another St. Paul! – and our commitment to God must likewise be a firm and unwavering “yes.” You see, Paul was vetting the Corinthians through his letter like that shelter employee was vetting me, to make sure the Corinthians did not underestimate their commitment to Christ. He wanted to make sure they were not intimidated by the c-word.

Folks, the way most Christians live and witness to their commitment to Christ is through their commitment in marriage. That is, when they stand at the altar on their wedding day, couples are saying, “Yes” not only to each other, but also to Jesus. And it is in the way couples love each other, honor each other, respect each other, forgive each other, inspire each other, and support each other, that their lives becomes their unconditional “yes” and echoes God’s unconditional “yes” to them in Jesus.

At the beginning of my wedding Masses, I like to say: “Welcome to this celebration of love! Not only the love of Joe Schmoe and Susie Q, but also the love of Jesus. And we pray that God bless you both with Christ’s love, so you love each other as Jesus loved us: unconditionally and to the end.” Like that shelter employee I am vetting their level of commitment. Like St. Paul I am urging them to be an unconditional “yes” to each other. Not “yes” today and “no” tomorrow.

My friends, we all have to check our level of commitment and not be intimidated by the c-word, whether we are adopting a dog, or marrying a spouse, or following our Savior. And pay close attention if people raise their eyebrows at you when you say over-confidently, “Sure, I can do that!”

Praised be Jesus Christ!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment