Thursday, May 4, 2023

Always Change

Seeing how our thinking evolves over our lifetime

04/30/2023

Acts 9:1-20 Saul, still breathing murderous threats against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, that, if he should find any men or women who belonged to the Way, he might bring them back to Jerusalem in chains. On his journey, as he was nearing Damascus, a light from the sky suddenly flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?" He said, "Who are you, sir?" The reply came, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. Now get up and go into the city and you will be told what you must do." The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, for they heard the voice but could see no one. Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing; so they led him by the hand and brought him to Damascus. For three days he was unable to see, and he neither ate nor drank.

If there is one thing you can count on happening to you for the rest of your life it is that you will change. In fact, the moment you stop changing will be the moment you die (except for the decomposition part). Life is change. When I was in high school we used to say this catchy phrase: “Love ya! Mean it! Never change!” In other words, I love you just the way you are, and you don’t have to change for me to love you. But “never changing” is just wishful thinking, like a lot of thinking in high school is, because change is an integral part of your life.

Let me describe how your thinking changes over the course of your life. I remember when I graduated from Catholic High in Little Rock, thinking very distinctly: “Now, I finally understand everything! What could they possibly teach us in college? I guess they’ll just keep regurgitating the same old subjects!” Do any of you seniors feel that way? The funny thing is that when I turned 30, I thought the same thing again: “Ah, now, I finally get it! I was a moron when I was graduating from high school. But now I finally figured out what life is about!”

Strangely enough, the same thought hit me when I turned 40: “Now, I see! Gosh, I didn’t get anything and was deluded as a 30 year old, but my 40 year old self has finally found wisdom and insight!” And guess what happened 4 years ago when I turned 50? The same brilliant conclusion and utter conviction: “Now I get it! What an idiot I was when I turned 40!”

By the way, can you look back at yourself when you were 10 years old and see how much you have learned and grown in just a few years? So, the same thing will happen again and again. “Love ya! Mean it! Always change!” In other words, keep changing your thinking, so you don’t keep being a moron.

In the first reading today Saul the Pharisee experiences a profound change in his way of thinking. We hear of Saul’s dramatic conversion to Christ on his way to Damascus. Most scholars say Saul was about 30 years old at the time of this event. And I am sure after he was knocked off his high horse of Phariseeism, he thought: “What an idiot I was when I was 20 and believed Jesus was my enemy and I tried to destroy all his followers! Now, I finally get it!”

And Saul (now Paul) did get what life was really all about in one brilliant flash of light. Life is about knowing, love, and following Jesus Christ. But he would also continue to grow in faith and deepen his love for the Lord for the rest of his life. “Love ya! Mean it! Always change!”

Boys and girls, what is the take home message this morning? Well, I hope you catch two things. First, keep a loose grip on believing that you know everything and that your thinking will never change. When I was in high school I hated foreign languages. I studied French. When I went to the University of Dallas, I took intermediate level French so I could complete that requirement.

I thought: "I will never take another foreign language again in my life! I will just speak English!" But the bishop sent me to study Spanish 10 years later in seminary, and I discovered that I was pretty good with languages. And now I love to pray the rosary in French, Spanish, and Latin. That is why I love to celebrate this OCA Mass every Friday in Latin. My thinking had changed.

And secondly, take care when you think that this "Jesus business" of faith is all foolishness. “You Christians are a bunch of bozos, especially you Catholics. (Bozo was a clown by the way.) You actually believe that that Bread is the Body of Christ and that cup contains the Blood of Christ like Jesus said in the gospels? That’s bunk!” you may be thinking.

Indeed, like Saul the Pharisee we might believe Jesus is even our Enemy who only wants to stop us from having any fun. Saul was utterly convinced that he would always think that way. But his thinking changed dramatically. And your thinking about Jesus will change one day, too, either during life, or at your death, when you will meet Jesus face to face.

Boys and girls, the one thing you can count on in life is change, and your thinking will change. To paraphrase Wesley in the movie “The Princess Bride,” “Life is change, your highness. Anyone who tells you differently is selling something.” Expect things to change, and you may even enjoy the change.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment