Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Flushing and Faith


Remembering the early experiences in our faith journey
11/19/2018
Revelation 2:1-5 I heard the Lord saying to me: "To the angel of the Church in Ephesus, write this: "'The one who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks in the midst of the seven gold lampstands says this: "I know your works, your labor, and your endurance, and that you cannot tolerate the wicked; you have tested those who call themselves Apostles but are not, and discovered that they are impostors. Moreover, you have endurance and have suffered for my name, and you have not grown weary. Yet I hold this against you: you have lost the love you had at first. Realize how far you have fallen. Repent, and do the works you did at first. Otherwise, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent."'"

One of the catchiest titles for a book has to be Robert Fulgham’s book called All I Really Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten. He argues eloquently that remembering simple life lessons from childhood would help us be happier adults, and make the world a better place to live. He lists sixteen things he learned in kindergarten, but let me mention just five of them.

First he suggests, “share everything.” Kindergartners are taught by well-meaning adults that is it not good to be greedy and hoard things for ourselves. Indeed, God has given this whole cosmos to all humanity to share in common but we quickly forget that life lessons when we grow up. Instead of sharing we become scrooges. Second, Fulghum says, “Don’t hit people.” And I would expand this to forbidding hitting people with our words as well as with our fists. Words can leave deep wounds because the pen is mightier than the sword. Third, he says simply, “Flush.” In fact, a friend told me recently do not just flush the toilet after you are finished but you can even flush before you are done, a so-called “courtesy flush.” Flushing makes the world a better place.

Fourth, Fulghum advises, “Take a nap every afternoon.” That reminds me of my favorite pastoral practice for a priest: “A holy pastor wakes up at 4 o’clock. Twice a day.” And fifth, he adds: “Say you’re sorry when you hurt someone.” This one is closely connected to the earlier one about “don’t hit people.” When we hit people with our words, we must also seek healing with our words, like saying, “I’m sorry.” All these kindergarten life lessons need to be practiced by big grown-ups as well as by tiny toddlers.

Today we start the readings from the Book of Revelation. In John’s letter to the church in Ephesus, he gives advice very similar to Robert Fulghum. He writes: “You have lost the love you had at first.” In other words, some of the life lessons in the ways of grace and goodness you learned when you were still children in the faith have been forgotten. Our early experiences of the Lord and his love stamp our relationship with him with an indelible mark, and we should never forget them. We should return frequently to that fountain of early grace and find refreshment for our journey in life, just like life lessons in kindergarten can serve as a sure compass for adulthood.

May I share with you some of my own early experiences of faith and maybe that will spark some of your own recollections. I will always remember kneeling in the front pew in a church in Hillsboro, TX on the day of my first Holy Communion. As an eight year old boy, I tasted how good the Lord is for the first time, and I never want to take that taste for granted. I feel I would die if I could not receive Communion. Another fond memory I have is my grandmother telling me I should never chew the Host, the Communion Wafer. I should just let it sit on my tongue and let it dissolve. She warned me that if I chewed it, blood would come out because it is the Body of Christ. She scared me to death, and even as a priest I try not to chew the Sacred Host.

Another recollection I have is in elementary school at daily Masses at St. Theresa. A huge crucifix hung over the altar, suspended by cables from the ceiling. During the priests homily, I would stare at the cross wondering if one day the cables might break and the cross come crashing down on the priests head. So, don’t worry if your mind wanders during this homily – I’ve been there, done that. Another memory I have is always sitting in the same pew in church Sunday after Sunday. I could walk into church blindfolded and still find my seat. These may seem like small memories, but I believe they are sacred memories, and my early experiences with Jesus guide me still.

My friends, let us not easily forget the life lessons we learned in school or in church, whether they were about flushing or about faith. Those lessons will make us not only happier people, they will also make us holier people.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment