Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Invocation at Naturalization Ceremony


Judge Isaac C. Parker Courthouse, Fort Smith, Arkansas, August 24, 2018

I am grateful to Judge Ben Berry and to each of our new Americans for the privilege to pray with you today. When I was fifteen years told, I stood where you did and made this same Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America, so I know exactly how proud and blessed you feel right now. When my family first arrived in New York, my father started driving and had a remarkable experience. When he drove at night, he noticed that there were lights on the road that lit up when the car approached. When he looked in the rear-view mirror, he saw the lights had surprisingly turned off. He believed there were small light bulbs in the road for miles and miles, and thought, “What an amazing country this is that can afford so many light bulbs!” In case you don’t know, those were reflectors on the road, not light bulbs.

I brought my naturalization certificate along, and you’ll have to take my word that I am the same person as that bright-eyed boy in the photo. Even though I was naturalized an American many years ago, I have not forgotten the feeling that I had stepped into a new world of endless possibilities.  I hope you will not be offended or turned off by my priestly collar that I wear as a Catholic priest. We are all creatures, and even children, of the same Creator, however we choose to acknowledge him, or choose not to. Perhaps the principal privilege of being an American is our freedom of religion, and maybe some would add, our freedom from religion. If you feel so inclined, please pray for a moment with me.

“Loving Creator and God, who made everything out of nothing, turn toward us and bless us. You who made the mountains and the rivers, also made us men and women. You invite us to come together in community, to foster new friendships, and to forge new nations. Bless these newly naturalized citizens of the United States of America. We are profoundly aware of all the freedoms we enjoy in this country. Help us to use them wisely and well for the blessing of each and the betterment of all. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment