Friday, October 21, 2016

Watch Yourself

Growing in self-awareness by watching our ancestors  
Luke 11:47-54  
The Lord said: “Woe to you who build the memorials of the prophets whom your fathers killed. Consequently, you bear witness and give consent to the deeds of your ancestors, for they killed them and you do the building. Therefore, the wisdom of God said, ‘I will send to them prophets and Apostles; some of them they will kill and persecute’ in order that this generation might be charged with the blood of all the prophets shed since the foundation of the world, from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah who died between the altar and the temple building. Yes, I tell you, this generation will be charged with their blood! Woe to you, scholars of the law! You have taken away the key of knowledge. You yourselves did not enter and you stopped those trying to enter.” When Jesus left, the scribes and Pharisees began to act with hostility toward him and to interrogate him about many things, for they were plotting to catch him at something he might say.   

          Many people enjoy “people watching,” where they’ll find a seat at a road-side café, or a bench at the mall, and watch the parade of humanity pass by. Sometimes you try to guess what two people are discussing, or why a small child is crying, or where people are going. For me personally, I love “student-watching” at Immaculate Conception School or Trinity Junior High. One thing I’ve started to notice is that children often evince traits of their parents: they walk like their dad, they laugh like their mom, they love hunting like their dad, they play football like their older brother, they bake pies like their mom. A good teacher can tell in two minutes whether a student comes from a stable, loving home or an unstable, abusive home.   

          I’ll never forget once Bishop Sartain observed that I laugh like my older brother. He said I sort of bend over when I laugh. I immediately responded, mildly offended to be compared to my brother, saying, “No I don’t!” They bishop smiled. But, of course, that’s exactly how I laugh, and now every time I laugh, I remember the good bishop’s comment and my own glaring lack of self-awareness. Apparently, the bishop enjoyed not only people-watching, but also priest-watching.   

          In the gospel today, Jesus is doing some “Pharisee-watching,” but he’s pointing out family traits that are very troublesome. He says, “Woe to you who build the memorials of the prophets whom your fathers killed.” Then he goes on: “Consequently, you bear witness and give consent to the deeds of your ancestors, for they killed them and you do the building.” In other words, just like Bishop Sartain helped me to see a family resemblance in how I laugh like my brother, so Jesus helps the Pharisees to see a family resemblance in how they hate and oppose the prophets like their ancestors. And how did the Pharisees respond? They said just like I did: “No, we don’t!” But everyone else who was “Pharisee-watching” with Jesus could see exactly what Jesus was talking about, and so can we. One of the most fascinating things about people-watching is how easily we can see things in others that they are completely oblivious to.  
 
          My friends, today take a little time to do some people-watching, but don’t watch other people, or school students, or priests, or Pharisees. Rather, watch yourself. Today, try to be more self-aware and notice how and why and where and what you yourself do. One effective way to do this is by studying your parents closely and realizing that many of their faults and failings you too have inherited, while many of their skills and successes are also found in you. This can also serve as a useful examination of conscience and help you to see your sins. If your parents are argumentative and confrontational, you may be, too. If your parents abuse drugs and alcohol, you may, too. If your parents are overly worried about public perception and keeping up with the Joneses, you may be, too.   

          You know, many children grow up declaring defiantly: “I’ll never be like my parents!” Whenever I hear a young person say that, I remember when Bishop Sartain heard me say that, and I smile and think, “Yeah, good luck with that.”


          Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment