Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Galvanizing Others

Reflecting on our lasting legacy
1 Kings 2:1-4, 10-12
When the time of David’s death drew near, he gave these instructions to his son Solomon: “I am going the way of all flesh. Take courage and be a man. Keep the mandate of the LORD, your God, following his ways and observing his statutes, commands, ordinances, and decrees as they are written in the law of Moses, that you may succeed in whatever you do, wherever you turn, and the LORD may fulfill the promise he made on my behalf when he said, ‘If your sons so conduct themselves that they remain faithful to me with their whole heart and with their whole soul, you shall always have someone of your line on the throne of Israel.’” David rested with his ancestors and was buried in the City of David. The length of David’s reign over Israel was forty years: he reigned seven years in Hebron and thirty-three years in Jerusalem. Solomon was seated on the throne of his father David, with his sovereignty firmly established.
          Have you ever thought about what your last words would be before you left this world? What would you say to your children and to your grandchildren as their final memory of you? Of course, you’ve already done this on a smaller scale if you’ve handed over to them your company or business, or given them your medical practice, or the clients in your financial planning portfolio. What advice did you give them before you handed over the reins? Now, I’ll never have to worry about that here at Immaculate Conception because I intend to leave here “feet first”! But I do sometimes wonder: what was Msgr. Galvin’s final words before he died? He probably said, “Don’t screw it up!” But long before he died, he had “Galvanized” many young priests; he had taught them not only by his words, but also by his actions. That’s the meaning of “Galvanizing priests.” What will be your lasting legacy?
          In the first reading today, we see the great King David come to the end of his days. And what were his parting words of wisdom to his son Solomon? He said, “Take courage and be a man. Keep the mandate of the Lord, your God, following his ways and observing his statutes, commands, ordinances and decrees.” In other words, you could say King David was “galvanizing” his son Solomon to be a king. David had galvanized his son not only with his words but also by his actions, not only with his sins (committing adultery with Bathsheba) but also by his sorrow for sins (writing Psalm 51, the great “Miserere”). The Harvard philosopher, William James, once said, “I would sin like King David if only I could repent like King David.” David’s lasting legacy was galvanizing his son Solomon.
          Recently, I gave a day of reflection to our school teachers and shared ten lessons I have learned in 20 years as a priest. I don’t know if they learned anything, but it sure was a great exercise for me. I was trying to put into words what would be my lasting legacy. Every time I go home to visit my parents, I feel like I need to record our conversations. They are sharing with me their lasting legacy. I would invite you to do the same. Take some time to write down the top ten lessons you have learned in life, give examples of how you lived those lessons (or maybe how you didn’t, but tried), and how you hope your children and grandchildren might benefit from them. Maybe your main lesson will simply be: “Don’t screw things up!” But, my friends, like King David, you and I, too, will eventually “go the way of all flesh.” But before we do, though, we should galvanize others.

          Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment