Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Duel with the Devil

Learning life verses to save our lives
Luke 4:1-4
Filled with the Holy Spirit, Jesus returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the desert for forty days, to be tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and when they were over he was hungry. The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread.” Jesus answered him, “It is written, One does not live on bread alone.”
          I would like to begin with a little confession this morning. Don’t get too excited, I didn’t kill anybody. Sometimes, when I drive around town, I’ll turn on the radio and listen to local Protestant preachers. Please don’t tell the pope! Now, I’m not listening for the “substance” of their sermon, but rather I am listening for the “style” of their sermon. In business, they call this finding “best practices,” that is, learning from other companies and competitors. I can’t tell you how often Protestant preachers have given me some of the best stories, jokes, analogies and anecdotes that I’ve used in my own homilies.
          For example, one day a preacher was explaining the importance of learning a “life verse” from the Bible. Have you ever heard of a “life verse”? Well, if you listened to Protestant preachers more, you would have! He said that every Christian should memorize at least one verse of the Bible and use it to guide his or her life. This verse should be deeply meaning to you; it should speak to your heart. You should repeat it every day and it will serve as a “compass” to keep you from getting lost. When I heard that, I thought, “What a great idea!” And then I thought, “Now, what is the shortest verse in the Bible so I can memorize it and remember it??” Do you know which verse is the shortest? It is John 11:35. It reads, “Jesus wept.” And the reason Jesus wept is because Catholics pick the shortest verse of the Bible to memorize! Well, if that’s the best you can do, at least it is a start. But the real reason to have a “life verse” is because someday it may save your life.
          Today’s gospel is about Jesus’ temptation in the desert, where he duels with the devil. The devil throws three temptations at Jesus: (1) he urges him to change stones into bread, (2) he offers him all the wealth of the nations, and (3) he dares him to flex his divine muscles by jumping off the parapet of the temple. And how did Jesus defend himself? Apparently, Jesus also enjoyed listening to Protestant preachers, because he pulled out his life verses! He quoted the Old Testament three times and ultimately left the devil dumbfounded and dejected. In other words, Jesus’ life verse saved our Lord’s life in his duel with the devil in the desert. Maybe your life verse should be one of Jesus’ own life verses, namely, Luke 4:4, “Jesus answered him, ‘It is written, ‘Man shall not live on bread alone’.” That is, don’t just live for material things, but also seek spiritual things, like “every word that comes from the mouth of God.” I’m sure Jesus would be happy to let you borrow his own life verse.
          May I share with you a few examples of Bible verses that are especially meaningful to me? I really like Romans 5:20, which reads, “Where sin abounds, there grace abounds all the more.” That gives me great comfort when I see sin sort of “abounding” in my life, because I know if I look hard enough, God’s grace is around and abounds even more. Folks, remember that there is always more grace than sin in your life, you just need eyes of faith to see it. Here’s a popular verse you see everywhere, Philippians 4:13, where St. Paul says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” If you find God is sending you more crosses than you have shoulders to carry them, remember Philippians 4:13, and you’ll find strength even if you lack shoulders! Here’s my personal life verse, it’s also from Philippians 4:8, which reads, “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about these things.” That’s a pretty cool one, don’t you think? But I’ve already claimed that one; so go find your own.
          My friends, Jesus shows us a simple way to defeat the devil today: learn a life verse. It will save your life in your mortal combat with the devil. And if enough Catholics learn life verses, it won’t just be a “Protestant thing” anymore; it may also become a “Catholic thing.” In any case, it is a really “Christian thing.”

          Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment