Friday, December 19, 2014

Devil's End-Game

Making a good confession
Matthew 18:12-14

Jesus said to his disciples: “What is your opinion? If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray, will he not leave the ninety-nine in the hills and go in search of the stray? And if he finds it, amen, I say to you, he rejoices more over it than over the ninety-nine that did not stray. In just the same way, it is not the will of your heavenly Father that one of these little ones be lost.”

             Yesterday, I went to confession.  I know, I know what you’re thinking: what could sweet, loving, joyful Fr. John possibly have to confess??  Don’t worry, I got plenty of sins.  And, by the way, so do YOU.  I’ll never forget what a priest once said to me in confession.  It was a number of years ago, and my laundry list of sins was particularly long at the time.  After I finished, he simply said, “That was a good confession.”  I was stunned.  I expected him to reprimand me or at least to say he was disappointed, but he didn’t.  He just smiled, and said, “That was a good confession,” gave me a few Hail Marys and sent me on my way.

            It wasn’t until years later, after I had heard countless confessions myself, that I learned why that confession was “good.”  Look at things from the devil’s point of view: he doesn’t just want to make you commit a mortal sin.  He’s certainly happy about that.  But what he really wants to do is keep you out of the confessional.  He knows the moment you walk in and confess your faults, he’s left empty-handed.  The devil’s real end-game is not just mortal sins, but rather to keep you out of confession, and, judging from the "long confession lines" here at I.C., I would say his strategy is working like a charm.  That’s why my confession was “good” – I was in the hands of the devil, and now I was in the hands of Jesus.  The devil's hands were empty.

            In the gospel today, Jesus reveals his attitude toward sinners.  He asks, “If a shepherd has 100 sheep and loses one, will he not leave the 99 and search for the stray?”  And what will he do when he finds it?  He rejoices!  That was the attitude of that priest who heard my confession years ago: no reproach, no rebuke, only rejoicing that he who was lost had been found.  St. Alphonsus Ligouri counseled priests saying: “A priest should be a lion in the pulpit and a lamb in the confessional.”  Why?  Because it takes a lamb to know a lamb.

            So, let me ask you, when was the last time you made a good confession?  If you respond, “Well, I don’t have any sins,” I would answer that you don’t know yourself very well.  The Bible says, “The just man falls seven times a day” (Prov. 24:16).  That’s the just man, which means you and I fall many more times each day.  Maybe you’re afraid the priest will yell at you or remember your what you say and look at your differently.  Don’t flatter yourself; we’ve heard better sins!  Mostly, remember the devil’s real end-game: to keep you out of the confessional.  Every time you walk in and make a good confession, you leave the devil empty-handed.  Don’t worry, you don’t disappoint the priest; you’ll disappoint the devil.


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment