Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Bad Company

Choosing good friends
 
Luke 10:38-42
Jesus entered a village  where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. She had a sister named Mary who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak.  Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving?  Tell her to help me.” The Lord said to her in reply, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.  There is need of only one thing.  Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.”

            Who are your friends?  Could you name the 3 people who are your closest friends right now?  Fr. George Tribou, our high school principal, once told us if we had 2 good friends during our whole life, we should consider ourselves very lucky.  Well, I’ve got over 4,300 Facebook friends, so I got him beat, right??  How would you define a “good friend”?  Aristotle said that a true friend is someone who wishes us well, not someone who just uses us for their personal gain.  When I was in seminary, some friends from high school would invite me to go out with them.  They liked to stay out late and call their moms and say, “Don’t worry, mom, we’re with John.  He’s going to be a priest.”  Now, I get invited over for poker nights so guys can say to their wives, “Don’t worry, honey, we’re with Fr. John!”  So, obviously, I have lots of good friends.  Here’s my definition of friendship: “So
meone who brings us closer to Christ.”  A good friend will help you to know and love Jesus more, not someone who leads you away from him.

            In the gospel today, Martha learns a lesson about true friendship.  She’s busy with the household chores, but Mary is sitting at the feet of Jesus, listening, learning and loving our Lord.  Understandably, Martha complains.  But Jesus teaches Martha an important lesson about friendship.  He says, “Mary has chosen the better part, and it will not be taken from her.”  Jesus is saying in effect, “Be a good friend to your sister, and help her get closer to me.  Don’t lead her away from me.”  Like my friends used to say, “We’re with Fr. John!” because presumably a priest is getting us closer to Jesus; but what about the poor priest!?  A true friend always brings us closer to Christ.

            I think we should shine this light of friendship on all our relationships.  Does your spouse bring you closer to Christ?  Do you bring him or her closer to Christ?  Are you a good Christian influence at work?  So many people become Catholic, not because we’re out recruiting like head-hunters, but because they see our example of love, humility and prayer.  Recently, I saw a friend of mine stop and pick up trash off the street and throw it away.  He didn’t know it, but by that simple gesture, he made me think I should do the same.  He brought me a little closer to Christ.  I love to see people come early for Mass and pray, or stay afterwards and visit.  That inspiring example brings me closer to Christ.  The Bible says, “Bad company spoils good morals” (1 Cor. 15:33).  Conversely, good company (good friends) not only promotes good morals, but even leads us closer to Christ!  In whose company are you walking these days?  More importantly, what direction are you walking?


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment