Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Crowns In the Garage Marrying Your Football

Accepting God’s proposal to marry him

Hosea 2:16, 17C-18, 21-22
Thus says the LORD: I will allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak to her heart. She shall respond there as in the days of her youth, when she came up from the land of Egypt. On that day, says the LORD, She shall call me “My husband,” and never again “My baal.” I will espouse you to me forever: I will espouse you in right and in justice, in love and in mercy; I will espouse you in fidelity, and you shall know the LORD.

            Children have funny ways of talking.  I heard this on the playground once.  One boy was talking about how he really loved his football signed by Brett Favre, and his friends began to tease him, saying, “Well, if you love it so much, why don’t you just marry it?!”  If a child said she really loved her dog or cat, their friends would taunt them: “If you love it so much, why don’t you marry it!?”  But children aren’t the only ones who use this analogy, so do adults.  Don’t we hear people say things like: “He’s married to his job; he wears his pager to bed!”  Some people are more married to their job than to their spouse!  This is how I look at being a priest.  When some people complain: “It’s too bad priests can’t get married,” I say, “Priests do get married: we marry the church.”  That’s why I love to go over to your homes for supper – to see what my wife cooked for dinner!  When you want to express intense love and deep devotion, you use the analogy of marriage to describe that relationship.

            We find one of the most perplexing predictions of the Old Testament in today’s first reading from Hosea, where God says he will marry his people.  Listen to these words of love.  God says, “I will espouse you to me forever; I will espouse you in right and justice, in love and mercy; I will espouse you in fidelity, and you shall know the Lord.”  Wow, God just got down on one knee and proposed to you!  The old saying goes, “Man proposes, but God disposes.”  But Hosea flips that on its head.  The truer maxim is: “God proposes and man disposes.”  God proposes marriage to us.  The children may taunt God saying, “Well, if you love your people so much, why don’t you just go ahead and marry them!?”  Today, God replies, “What a great idea!  I think I will!”

            Anyone who’s been really married for more than a year, however, knows that marriage is not as easy as falling in love with your favorite Brett Farve football.  True marriage is demanding and requires the effort of both parties for it to work.  In other words, it’s not enough to say, “God wants to marry you!”  You must seriously and soberly ask yourself, “Do I want to marry God?”  There must be reciprocity, mutual love and support, or the marriage will end in disastrous divorce, even our marriage to God.  Look at it this way, if children saw how you live, how you express your love for God, would they taunt you by saying, “If you love God so much, why don’t you just marry him?!”  Martin Luther King, Jr. often asked rhetorically: “If you were on trial for being a Christian, for your love of God, would there be enough evidence to convict you?”  You see, in the end, God proposes and man disposes.


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment