Wednesday, March 6, 2024

The Jeweler’s Shop

Appreciating every person we meet daily

03/05/2024

Lk 4:24-30 Jesus said to the people in the synagogue at Nazareth: “Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place. Indeed, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah when the sky was closed for three and a half years and a severe famine spread over the entire land. It was to none of these that Elijah was sent, but only to a widow in Zarephath in the land of Sidon. Again, there were many lepers in Israel during the time of Elisha the prophet; yet not one of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.” When the people in the synagogue heard this, they were all filled with fury. They rose up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town had been built, to hurl him down headlong. But he passed through the midst of them and went away.

Recently, I was elected by my brother priests to serve for five years on the Personnel Board for the diocese. The Personnel Board advises the bishop about possible changes of priests from one parish to another. So, if there is a priest you don’t like and want to get rid of, just let me know and I will pass it along to the bishop. Now, there is an unwritten rule of the Personnel Board that we do not send a priest to be pastor of the parish where he grew up. For example, Ben Keating is currently a seminarian for our diocese, but he is from Immaculate Conception. After he is ordained, therefore, the bishop will probably never assign him as the pastor here. Why not?

Well, because of what Jesus says in the gospel today: “no prophet is accepted in his own native place.” And to be a prophet means to preach the hard truth, tough love, the things people do not want to hear but desperately need to hear. And that is why the people of Nazareth – Jesus’ hometown – are ready to throw him off “the brow of the hill on which their town had been built” because he told them the hard truth about their lack of faith. In other words, when we grow up with someone- even someone like Jesus, or Ben – we feel like we already know them and what they have to say. We don’t feel they have anything new or exciting to teach us, or we don’t like what they have to teach us.

Every week I receive a phone call or a visit from parents worried about their children. And invariably they will ask, “Fr. John, would you talk to Johnny or Susie about his drinking, or baptizing my grandkids, or going back to Mass, etc.?” Why do these parents want me to talk to their children? Because they feel like Jesus in the gospel today and know “no prophet is accepted in his native place,” especially in his or her own home. Children stop listening to their parents like the people of Nazareth didn’t listen to Jesus.

I have been pastor here at Immaculate Conception for over ten years, and you parishioners know me pretty well by now. You are very familiar with my preaching style, and sometimes, you even know what I am going to say before I say it. You have read my books, and you have listened to my homilies on Spotify. You could virtually write my homilies for me – but you wouldn’t get up at 4:30 a.m. to do it!

But try to recall what it was like when I first arrived here back in December, 2013. When you first saw this Indian-looking priest behind the altar, you probably feared the worst: “Oh no, he’s going to talk in some thick Indian accent and I’ll never understand a word he says!” But I’ve faithfully done my accent reduction exercises and now almost talk with a Southern twang, like all a ya’ll. But after ten years here, this parish now feel almost like “my native place,” and so it’s easy for you to tune me out when I say something disagreeable. Oh, there goes Fr. John getting on his soapbox again.

I will never forget when Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen said, “Jewelers get used to handling fine diamonds.” I believe that comment cuts to the heart of Jesus’ point in the gospel today. Each person in our lives – children, parents, pastor, etc. – is a precious diamond – and Jesus is the only flawless Diamond – and we have to take great care not to get used to them and take them for granted. Try not to tune them out when they say something we don't like or want to hear.

So, here’s your homework for today, and really for the rest of your life. Get up every morning and see yourself as going to work in a jeweler’s shop. Imagine every person you meet as another priceless jewel and try not to get used to seeing such stunning beauty every day. Let me leave you with C. S. Lewis’ words in his celebrated essay, “The Weight of Glory,” “It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddess, to remember that the dullest most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship.” My friends, look around you, you are in the jeweler’s shop right now. Don’t get used to these fine diamonds.

Praised be 

No comments:

Post a Comment