Monday, May 3, 2021

Information Insufficiency

Following the Holy Spirit into all truth

05/03/2021

John 14:6-14 Philip said to [Jesus]: “Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves. Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it.”

No one can reasonably argue that we live in the Information Age, and in general, that is a good thing. My brother works in information technology for a major company and often says: “The more information you have, the better decision you make.” Of course he says that because it means job security for him! When we lack crucial facts or ignore important data, we make mistakes in judgment.

We all experience the ease of accessing information when we search for something on the internet. I recently read this staggering statistic: “It is estimated that the world’s capacity to store information has reached 5 zettabytes in 2014, the information equivalent of 4,500 stacks of printed books from the earth to the sun.” That reminds me of what Wesley said to Vezzini in the movie “The Princess Bride,” when Vezzini bragged about his brilliance: “Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.” The information on the internet can be overwhelming and dizzying.

The great challenge for the Information Age, therefore, is discerning whether the information is true or false. Or, as we popularly ask today: “Is that fake news?” In other words, the Information Age cannot answer the question about truth; it can only provide additional data. You must bring other criteria to crack open the truth or falsehood contained in the information, like breaking open an Easter egg to see what lies inside.

Indeed, even the Easter Resurrection was not resolved on the basis of facts alone. The empty tomb, the appearances to the women and disciples, the Ascension itself, could all be disputed and dismissed as “fake news.” It takes the additional criteria of faith to access that information and interpret it correctly to see the truth that lies in it. In other words, information alone is insufficient to ascertain the truth; sorry, brother.

Today is the feast of Sts. Philip and James. In preparing for this homily I did a quick internet search about these two saints. After all, “the more information you have, the better homily you preach” as my brother always says. I was surprised to see on many Catholic websites a wide range of opinions and information on St. James, often labelled “the Lesser.” One website said he was called the Lesser because he was shorter than the other St. James, the Greater (and taller). Another suggested that he was called the Lesser because he was younger than the other James (the older).

Another argued that James the Lesser was the cousin of Jesus who looked so much like our Lord that Judas had to kiss Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane in order to tell the two men apart. Yet another maintained that James the Lesser authored the New Testament letter of St. James and was the first bishop of Jerusalem, both assertions are roundly rejected by modern scripture scholarship. In other words, even when it comes to matters of faith, the Information Age cannot answer all questions, especially the touchy topic of truth. Information can only provide facts, it cannot provide faith. If all you have in an inundation of information, you will only end up with “a truly dizzying intellect.”

My friends, I am convinced our Lord knew that we would one day wander through the Information Age and struggle to find our way. We would feel dizzy. That is one reason Jesus promised in Jn 16:13, “But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth.” Jesus was spending, of course, of the Holy Spirit, whom he sent on the Apostles at Pentecost. But how will the Holy Spirit guide us?

The Holy Spirit helps us hear the truth through the Scriptures, the sacraments and the Church. In other words, when the weight of those 4,500 stacks of books from the earth to the sun start to overwhelm you with information, turn to the Scriptures, the sacraments and the Church for the truth. The internet can only provide facts – and sometimes fake facts – but it cannot provide faith.

Recently, I had a long conversation with a Catholic about why he would not wear a mask in church. He had obtained a lot of information on the internet and was convinced this was a conspiracy against the Catholic Church. Another parishioner insisted that the reason we are told to keep 6 feet apart is because that is a sign of Satan. After all, Rv 13:18 describes the number of the beast as 6, 6, 6. Can you see how simply more and more information does not help you find the truth? It only gives you “a truly dizzying intellect.”

My response to such arguments is simple: “Bishop Taylor has asked us to wear the masks at church, and so I will do it. Why? Because he is a successor Philip and James, the apostles to whom alone Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to guide them into all truth.” Yes, the more information you have the better decision you make, most of the time. But the Information Age will not lead you into all truth, only the Holy Spirit will do that, through the Scriptures, the sacraments and the Church.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment