Thursday, May 23, 2019

Perfect Pruning


Being trimmed by the God, the Master Gardner
05/22/2019

John 15:1-8 Jesus said to his disciples: "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit. You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you. Remain in me, as I remain in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me will be thrown out like a branch and wither; people will gather them and throw them into a fire and they will be burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples."
Have you noticed the crepe myrtles around the church parking lot lately? About a month ago, our landscaping company had pruned them back and now they are growing new green branches that will soon burst into colorful blooms: white, pink and red. That always reminds me of my first attempt at pruning crepe myrtles. I was pastor of St. Raphael in Springdale and on my day off I would come to trim the crepe myrtles. But I only butchered them. Dc. Chuck Marino, a dear friend, said smiling: “Fr. John, I think they call that crepe murder, not crepe myrtle.” Since then I have learned that trimming or pruning is really a science because you are touching a living organism, and your touch can heal or it can hurt. Or, it can commit crepe murder.
Recently, I read about the ancient science of pruning vineyards, called “espalier.” This ancient practice of pruning dates back thousands of years to the time of the Roman Empire. It involves tying branches to a frame to expose leaves to more sunlight, retain heat, and increase the growing season so the fruit has more time to mature. The first step to espalier, the gardener attaches the vine branch to a vertical frame. The second step of espalier, they attach the branch to a horizontal frame. If you have ever driven through vineyards, and glanced at the rows of vine branches, you’ve seen this science of espalier to maximize the growth of grapes. The frames almost look like small t-shaped crosses. In other words, each little vine endures its own mini-crucifixion in order to give the new life of the grape that one day becomes a beautiful bordeaux.
In John 15, Jesus also speaks about the science of espalier as it applies to Christians. He teaches his disciples: “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and everyone that does, he prunes so that it bears more fruit.” And then he adds: “You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you.” In other words, Jesus is the main shaft of vine, who will undergo the espalier experience by being crucified on a vertical and horizontal frame called the cross. But that is so his death might produce not the grapes for a beautiful bordeaux, but the Blood of the Eucharist that gives eternal life.
But notice Jesus says the disciples must be grafted on to him and the Father will also prune them. That is, the disciples too must experience the espalier treatment and endure their own mini-crucifixion. You know, I always remember certain chapters of the gospel of John because they touch on key themes he wants to highlight. John 3 is about baptism, John 6 is all about the Eucharist, John 10 focuses on the Good Shepherd, John 15 is the vine and the branches, John 20 is about confession. When we recall these scriptures from memory, and read and reflect on them, Jesus’ words continue to prune and perfect us.
My friends, may I suggest three ways the Father, the vine grower, continues his loving work of pruning us? His touch always heals even if it sometimes also hurts us, but it is always to make us more holy. First, try to hear other people’s complaints, criticisms, and concerns about you as a little pruning. It is hard to hear that we made mistakes or performed a task poorly. But maybe that is the Father trying to trim you and prune you to be more perfect, and bear more fruit. Secondly, see the sacraments, especially confession, as a spiritual espalier. In other words, just like those vines are stretched on their mini-crosses (vertical and horizontal), so each confession feels like a mini-crucifixion. It is humiliating, but it is also makes us holy. That’s how God the Father prunes us and makes us perfect. And thirdly, start some kind of scripture study class this summer, a great way to spend your spare time. The Diocese of Little Rock has lots of options through the Little Rock Scripture Study program. Surennah Werley here at I.C. always has a program going. Hebrews 4:12 says: “The word of God is alive and active, sharper than any two-edged sword.” In other words, just like Jesus said, his spoken words in scripture perennially prune and perfect us.
Even since my days at St. Raphael, when I committed crepe murder, I have been scared to try any more pruning. I don’t want to hurt without also healing. But let us not be scared when the heavenly Father reaches out to prune us. His pruning may hurt a little, but it will heal a lot, and not only make us incredibly holy, but also infinitely happy.
Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment