Monday, April 29, 2019

Touch or Die


Studying Thomas’ touch in order to reach Jesus
04/28/2019
John 20:19-31 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, "Peace be with you." When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples said to him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his handsand put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side,  I will not believe." Now a week later his disciples were again inside and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you." Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe." Thomas answered and said to him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed."
We all know we have five senses – sight and smell, taste and touch, and hearing – and their proper functioning contributes to our health and happiness. But did you know that the sense of touch, unlike the other four senses, is necessary for survival? In other words, we would literally die if we were touch deprived or we could die from so-called “skin hunger.” Babies that go for prolonged periods without any physical contact – even if they receive proper food, clothing and shelter – will simply die because they are touch deprived. That is a simple scientific fact about the sense of touch.
When I go home to visit my parents, I sometimes find my father lying in bed taking a nap. I love to crawl into bed next to him and snuggle. I am not sure he loves it, but I sure do. I dread the day I will not be able to touch him and snuggle. Patients in hospitals recover faster when a doctor warmly touches them during a visit, rather than when he or she stands coldly aloof. A February 22, 2010 New York Times article argued that sports teams that are “touchier” tend to perform better. The article stated: “The most touch bonded teams were the Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers, currently two of the league’s top teams; at the bottom were the mediocre Sacramento Kings and Charlotte Bobcats.” Too bad for all you Kings and Bobcats fans. In other words, physical touch not only enhances human life; it is necessary for the very existence of human life.
In the gospel today we hear about doubting Thomas the apostle and his need to touch Jesus. When Jesus appears first to the apostles, Thomas is absent. Maybe he had gone to a Celtics-Lakers game because they are more touchy teams. Then Jesus appears again and tells Thomas: “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving but believe.” We sometimes conclude there must have been something wrong with Thomas that he needed to touch our Lord. On the contrary, I believe there was something very right, namely, Thomas was being very human and even very holy. How so? Just like a baby would die if he were touch deprived, so Thomas feels he would die spiritually if he could not touch our Lord. And what is the result and consequence of Thomas reaching out and lovingly touching our Lord? Thomas’s doubts disappear and, filled with faith, he fearlessly travels to India, where he converts my ancestors to Christianity.
Many years ago I asked my dad how long our family had been Catholic. He answered that we have been Catholic for 2,000 years thanks to St. Thomas. I am convinced that loving touch by Thomas in the upper room 2,000 years ago was the first domino in a long line of dominoes that fell one by one, and that eventually led me here to be the pastor of Winslow, and stand before you today. Physical touch, therefore, not only enhances human life, it is necessary for the existence of human life, both physically and spiritually speaking. Without physical touch, we would die.
I believe the whole Catholic sacramental system is divinely designed to respond to the human need for physical contact and the sense of touch. No doubt making a firm act of faith is fundamental whenever we receive a sacrament. Faith disposes us to more grace like dilated eyes can receive more light. Nevertheless, a critical component of each sacrament is the “epiclesis,” or the laying on of hand, when the Holy Spirit descends on the elements or matter of the sacraments. Have you noticed how at one point in the process of every sacrament, the priest or deacon extends his hands? Imagine his hand like that hand of St. Thomas reaching out to touch the pierced side of Jesus. That touch releases torrents of grace. That touch produces healing and holiness in a way far greater than when I snuggle next to my dad in bed, or when the Lakers hug Labron James after a victory. Physical touch not only enhances human life, it is necessary for the existence of human life, in this world and in the next.
By the way, do you know what is funny about our modern smart phones? They are highly sensitive to human touch. That’s why my dad hates them, because he touches them like he learned to bang on a manual typewriter. That’s not how they work. But as we become more absorbed into our phones and communicate on social media platforms, we lose opportunities to communicate being physically present, like Jesus was present to Thomas and Jesus is present to us in the matter of the sacraments. Phones are becoming more touch sensitive, while human beings are become more touch deprived. And that, too, will have consequences both for enhancing human life, and for the existence of human life.
Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment