Thursday, April 28, 2016

The 5000 Year Leap

Keeping our eyes on Jesus to find lasting peace

John 14:27-31A
Jesus said to his disciples: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. You heard me tell you, ‘I am going away and I will come back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe. I will no longer speak much with you, for the ruler of the world is coming. He has no power over me, but the world must know that I love the Father and that I do just as the Father has commanded me.”
          Occasionally, I like to take an informal survey of our students, to measure the pulse of our pupils on different topics. Today I’d like to know your mind on the subjects of war, peace and prosperity. Under your chairs you’ll find a brief survey with four questions and multiple choice answers. The first question is: “What is the greatest threat to world peace: (1) nuclear war, (2) Islamic militants, (3) pervasive poverty (4) over taxation?” The second question is: “Which presidential candidate can best deal with that threat: (1) Hilary Clinton, (2) Ted Cruz, (3) John Kasich, (4) Bernie Sanders or (5) Donald Trump?” (By the way, I listed them alphabetically so you don’t think I’m trying to sway you to choose Clinton!) The third question is: “Do you think the U.S. form of government is the best hope for peace and prosperity in the world: true or false?” And the fourth question is: “What is your greatest personal fear or worry: (1) parents getting divorced, (2) rejection by your friends, (3) failing a test/not getting into college, (4) acne or your body image?” Now, take a moment to fill that out, fold your paper in half so no one can see your answers, and drop it in the basket.
          This past January my parents and I were going to travel to India for two weeks. Shortly before that, terrorists attacks happened in Paris and San Bernardino, CA. We cancelled our trip out of fear of traveling through international airports and getting blown up. We all need to think about things happening in the world: because global events sometimes have personal and painful consequences.
          In the gospel today, Jesus speaks precisely to these fears and anxieties.  He says, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you.” And then he adds: “Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.” In other words, whatever robs you of your peace of mind – whether it is parents’ divorce, acne, nuclear war, taxes, etc. – these things are all small potatoes next to Jesus and his love. As long as you keep your eyes on Jesus, everything will be okay. That’s why here at Trinity you all go to Mass every Tuesday. We’re telling you: “Keep your eyes on Jesus. Don’t take your eyes off Jesus. Only Jesus gives you a peace that will last forever.”
          A parishioner recently asked my opinion about a book he was reading called, “The 5000 Year Leap.” The author basically argued that the U.S. government was the best hope for peace and prosperity in the world. I replied that the U.S. government is indeed great, and we are blessed to live in this country. But at the end of the day, it is a man-made form of government. And all man-made forms of government will eventually decline and disappear. Instead, your best hope for peace and prosperity – and peace and prosperity that will last forever – lies in Jesus. Only if we keep our eyes on Jesus will our “hearts not be troubled or afraid.”
          Boys and girls, don’t just keep your eyes on Jesus every Tuesday, but keep your eyes on him every day, and you will feel great peace.  By the way, my parents and I have rescheduled our trip to India for this July. Please pray that we make it back alive!

          Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment