Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Me and Melchizedek

Praying for our priests
Hebrews 7:1-3
Melchizedek, king of Salem and priest of God Most High, met Abraham as he returned from his defeat of the kings and blessed him. And Abraham apportioned to him a tenth of everything. His name first means righteous king, and he was also “king of Salem,” that is, king of peace. Without father, mother, or ancestry, without beginning of days or end of life, thus made to resemble the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.

             Do you know who is the first priest mentioned in the Bible?  It is a mysterious and mesmerizing figure named “Melchizedek.”  In fact, I was so captivated by him that I wrote my master’s thesis paper in seminary about him, and the title of it was: “Who the Heck is Melchizedek?”  My thesis director was not impressed.  Surprisingly, Melchizedek appears at the beginning, middle and close to the end of the Bible: in Genesis 14, Psalm 110, and today in Hebrews 7.  Scripture scholars hotly debate his true identity and they have yet to reach a consensus.  But the one thing scholars cannot do is ignore him.  Why?  Because in those three places – Genesis, Psalms and Hebrews – Melchizedek comes in contact with Father Abraham, King David and finally Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Any serious student the Scriptures has to answer the question, “Who the heck is Melchizedek?”

             Let me tell you what Melchizedek means to me.  Hebrews says, “Without father, mother or ancestry, without beginning of days or end of life, thus made to resemble the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.”  I learned two things from that passage: (1) priesthood is a higher calling than family life, and may even require you to sacrifice family life in order to be a priest.  So, for me, celibacy makes sense in light of Melchizedek.  And (2) priesthood is a full-time job, not a 9 to 5 gig where you punch the time clock.  Indeed, a man who is ordained will be a priest even in heaven.  You see, there will not be marriage in heaven (Mt. 22), but there will be priesthood in heaven.  And I can’t wait!  We priests will still get a paycheck but we won’t have any work, since there won’t be any sinners in heaven!  And that’s why I wear my Roman collar almost all the time and everywhere I go.  Why?  Because Hebrews says, “You are a priest forever” – at a Razorback football game, at a local restaurant, while drinking beer, and everywhere else.  When I was ordained, my mom told me, “Son, always wear your collar.  It’ll keep you out of trouble.”  What did she know that I didn’t know??  My mom knew the answer to the question, “Who the heck is Melchizedek?”

            May I ask you a favor?  Would you please pray for us priests?  I know you already do, but don’t slow down!  I have a dear friend who prays her rosary for me while she’s at Adoration.  My mom worries about this priest; Mother Mary worries about all priests.  Pope Francis always concludes his talks to people with the plea: “Please pray for me!”  Why pray for priests?  Because Melchizedek has set the priestly bar pretty high for us, indeed, as high as heaven!  But we priests remain fully and feebly human, at the end of the day, we’re just knuckle-draggers, like the rest of men, in need of salvation as much as anyone else, maybe more so.  This is why Archbishop Fulton Sheen titled his autobiography, “Treasure in Clay."  The treasure is Jesus; the clay is the priest.

            Who the heck is Melchizedek?  He is the first priest mentioned in the Bible, and he’s also the model for all priests.


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment