Thursday, November 13, 2014

Somebody's Daughter

Seeing others as brothers and sisters

Philemon 10-16
 I urge you on behalf of my child Onesimus, whose father I have become in my imprisonment, who was once useless to you but is now useful to both you and me. I am sending him, that is, my own heart, back to you. I should have liked to retain him for myself, so that he might serve me on your behalf in my imprisonment for the Gospel, but I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that the good you do might not be forced but voluntary. Perhaps this is why he was away from you for a while, that you might have him back forever, no longer as a slave but more than a slave, a brother, beloved especially to me, but even more so to you, as a man and in the Lord.

             In the seminary my spiritual director gave me some great advice on how to deal with especially attractive women.  Since priests are required to be celibate, we have to learn how to guard our celibacy and not fall in love with every beautiful woman we meet.  Here’s what he said: “If the beautiful woman is older than you, think of her as your mother.  If the attractive woman is around your same age, look at her at your sister.  If the gorgeous girl is younger than you, treat her as your own daughter.”  And I have to say, his advice has come in very handy.  We have ladies in the parish now cooking meals for us priests and the next step will be to have them do our laundry too!  Thanks mom!  But seriously, when we see other people, especially women, as members of our own family, we not only see THEM in a new light, but we begin to see OURSELVES differently. What do I mean?  When I see these beautiful women as mother and sister and daughter, I begin to see myself as “son” and “brother” and “dad” to them.  And that helps me to know how to behave toward them and treat them as I should.  You see, my spiritual director wasn’t just telling me how to look at attractive women, he was teaching me how to look at myself.

            St. Paul is fulfilling the role of a good spiritual director in his letter to Philemon.  Even though the letter is very brief, Paul gives some great advice, namely, how to look at other people.  Philemon had a slave named Onesimus who had spent time with Paul and become a Christian.  Now, Paul is sending Onesimus back to Philemon, but with a little advice.  He says: “I send Onesimus back to you no longer as a slave but as a brother in the Lord.”  In other words, Paul urged Philemon, like my spiritual director urged me, to see Onesimus in a new light, not as a slave but as a brother.  But St. Paul was also subtly suggesting to Philemon to see himself differently: not as a master but as a brother.  You see, Paul wasn’t just teaching Philemon how to look at Onesimus, he was also telling Philemon how to look at Philemon.

             How do you treat other people?  Do you treat some people rudely and disrespectfully, like people who drive crazy in traffic or people in government offices who seem not to care?  Try to see them as your mother, your sister, your daughter.  Are there people with whom you’ve had a fight and find it hard to forgive?  Try to see them as your brother or sister.  (If it was your brother and sister you fought with, then you’re out of luck.)  Are there people you treat as objects of pleasure, like beautiful models in swimsuit advertisements or T.V. commercials?  Look at them as your mother, or sister, or daughter.  Like people sometimes remind us: “Hey, you know, that beautiful girl is somebody’s daughter.”  A good Christian would respond: "Yes, she's MY daughter."  When we train our eyes and our minds to see others in this new light, we also begin to see ourselves in a new light, as a brother or sister in the Lord.  And we act accordingly.


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment