Saturday, October 4, 2014

Little Smartalek

Welcoming those who humble us
 Job 40: 3-5
            
Then Job answered the LORD and said: Behold, I am of little account; what can I answer you? I put my hand over my mouth. Though I have spoken once, I will not do so again; though twice, I will do so no more.
             One of the most appealing virtues to possess is humility, but it’s also one of the most difficult and painful to attain.  St. Teresa of Avila said all authentic prayer requires 3 basic virtues: “fraternal love, detachment from things, and humility” (Way of Perfection).  Every saint is humble.  Sooner or later God sends us someone to humble us.  He sent me a kindergartner.

            A few weeks ago, I visited the school, and noticed one of the kindergarten students sitting by himself.  Figuring the shepherd should seek the lost sheep, I went over to talk with him.  I asked him why he was sitting by himself.  He said sheepishly, “I got in trouble.”  I said, “Well, it happens, but try to be better.”  He noticed my coffee cup and asked, “What’s in your cup?”  I said, “It’s hot coffee.”  He asked, “Why are you drinking that?”  I thought I would make him think a little so I said, “Why do you think I am drinking that?”  He replied, “Why do YOU think you’re drinking that??”  And I thought to myself: “Now I know why you’re sitting by yourself, you little smartalek!”  But what a great answer he gave: he made ME think.  He humbled me.

            Today’s first reading is from the fascinating Old Testament book of Job.  Job is a righteous man.  He’s so good that even God brags about him.  But there’s still one more virtue Job needs, namely, humility.  Who does God send to teach Job this crucial lesson?  He sends the devil, who deprives Job of all his possessions and tells him to blaspheme God.  I don’t think God sent the devil just to test Job; he sent him to teach Job, to teach him humility.  So even though Job demands an answer for his plight and problems, he ultimately concludes: “Behold, I am of little account; what can I answer you?  I put my hand over my mouth.”  I wanted to put my hand over that little kindergartner’s mouth!  You see, God sent Satan to humble Job, just like he sent a kindergartner to humble me.  Every saint must learn humility.

            Would you say you are a very humble person?  If you think you’re humble, that’s a pretty good sign you’re probably NOT!  Most truly humble people think they are filled with pride and arrogance.  Humility is one of those elusive virtues that you don’t get by demanding it or by some spiritual exercise.  You have to sneak up on it, or better, it has to sneak up on you, in the form of someone God sends to humble you, like a kindergartner.  Humility is a virtue we cannot get on our own; someone else must give it to us, like the person who out-smarts us, or is funnier than us, or is more beautiful than us, or is stronger than us, or is more loving and patient than us, or is more generous than us.  Today open your eyes and your heart to the people God sends to teach you humility.  Every saint must be humble.


            Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment