Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Big Dance

Doing the Father’s will rather than our own

John 5: 19-20, 30
Jesus answered and said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, the Son cannot do anything on his own, but only what he sees the Father doing; for what he does, the Son will do also. For the Father loves the Son and shows him everything that he himself does, and he will show him greater works than these, so that you may be amazed. 
“I cannot do anything on my own; I judge as I hear, and my judgment is just, because I do not seek my own will but the will of the one who sent me.”
We Indians get a bad rap for our tradition of “arranged marriages.”  Do you know what that is?  It’s where your parents pick your future spouse.  The great Indian liberator, Mahatma Gandhi, married his wife when both he and she were only 13 years old.  We in the West would find that appalling – maybe even mild child abuse – but the Gandhi’s stayed married all their life, until the assassination.  But what recommends this custom is that your parents are better judges of who will make a good spouse for you than you are.  The 60% divorce rate here in the U.S. certainly makes you wonder why we choose spouses so poorly.  Of course, I avoided all that trouble by becoming a priest: so I could marry all of YOU!  Lucky you.  Who’s the best person to help you pick your life-partner?
This is what’s really going on in the gospel today: Jesus accepts his “arranged marriage.”  Jesus says unequivocally: “I do not seek my own will but the will of the one who sent me.”  And what exactly was the will of Jesus’ Father?  The Father didn’t just want his Son to save a bunch of people so Holy Trinity would have some company in heaven.  Rather, the Father sent the Son to earth to seek a spouse, a spouse that the Father had hand-picked for him and had been preparing for him throughout the whole Old Testament, namely, the Jewish people.  God sent the Son not only to be a Savior but to be a Spouse.  Now, Jesus words, “I do not seek my own will,” make a lot more sense, doesn’t it?  It’s like he’s saying, “Hey, this ain’t the dame I would have taken to the dance!”  Like Mahatma Gandhi, however, Jesus accepts his father’s pick for his life-partner, and Jesus and his spouse (the Church) stay married forever.
Do you know the only people who are really opposed to arranged marriage?  It’s people who don’t have any children!  Why?  Well, as soon as you have children you instantly understand two indisputable facts: (1) how much you want what’s best for your children, and (2) how much your children have no clue what’s best for them!  It’s like that movie, “My Big Fat Greek Wedding.”  At the end the groom’s parents give the couple a new house as a gift.  Of course, the house is right next door to theirs.  It wasn’t an arranged marriage, but it was close.  Now, I’m not advocating arranged marriages (well, sort of), but I am urging us to include others in our decision-making, especially our parents, and above all, our heavenly Father.  We must learn to say with Jesus, "I do not seek my own will but the will of the one who sent me."  Because you see, in the end, if you want to be married forever, it will be with a Spouse that you won’t get to pick, but will be chosen for you, namely, Jesus.  That’s the only way to get to The Big Dance.
             Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment