Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Outside dangers, stepping outside your front door takes great faith


 Genesis 12:1-4A
The LORD said to Abram:“Go forth from the land of your kinsfolk and from your father’s house to a land that I will show you. “I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you. All the communities of the earth shall find blessing in you.” Abram went as the LORD directed him.
             One of my favorite childhood novels was “The Lord of the Rings” by J.R.R. Tolkien.  It’s about a humble little hobbit named Frodo and how his whole life changes with an ominous warning.  His uncle Bilbo tells him: “It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step onto the road and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.”  Like any good nephew, Frodo ignores his uncle’s advice, steps out his front door, and is swept away on a wild adventure facing dragons, Dark Lords and certain death.  Now, you should know that Frodo had every reason to stay put inside his home: he was safe and comfortable, his world was predictable and he was respected by everyone, even a hometown celebrity.  Life only begins, however, when we step out our front door into the wild world outside.  In a very different book, and on a much larger stage, Shakespeare put these words on the lips of Brutus: “There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.  Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and miseries.”  Stepping out your front door is indeed dangerous; life is safer inside, but that life is also shallower.  Outside lays                                                                greatness.
            In the first reading today, God invites Abram to step outside his front door, to take a step of faith.  Listen to the famous call of Abram in Genesis 12 and see if you hear an echo of Bilbo’s avuncular advice: “The Lord said to Abram, ‘Go forth from the land of your kinsfolk and from your father’s house to a land that I will show you.’”  God sweetens the deal further by telling him that stepping away from safety also means stepping closer to greatness.  The Lord continues, “I will make of you a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, so that you will be a blessing.”  Abram took a great risk going out his front door – it would have been easier and safer to stay home in Ur of the Chaldeans – but that first step eventually led him to become the father of a great nation, and ultimately the “Father of Faith.”  You see, it takes great faith to step out your front door.
             I did a little going out my front door too this past week.  What I found outside my front door was the wild world of “social media.”  Believe me, it’s a lot easier to fight orcs and trolls and Dark Lords than to survive the strange creatures crawling in cyber space!  I was visiting a family for supper and the 13 year old girl set me up with an “instagram” account.  My name is “priestdude.”  I have a grand total of 7 followers (all her friends).  Someone else told me I should get a blog.  Not knowing what that is, I said, “Eew!  A blog sounds gooey and sticky – the blog!”  Gross.  You can access my blog through the church website.  I decided to seek more friends on Facebook, so indiscriminately asked hundreds of people to friend me.  I got a nasty note from Mark Zukerburg at Facbook saying, “If you do not slow down your friend requests, we will have to block you!”  I wrote back, “Move over Zukerburg, this is the information superhighway!”  So, now I’m blocked on Facebook and Mark Zukerburg has un-friended me.  You could say I got pulled over on the information superhighway.  All this techno-geek stuff is not my cup of tea.  I’m much more like a hobbit, who’d rather sip a real cup of tea in front of a blazing fire, reading a good book about Dark Lords and death-defying bravery.  But if we never leave the safe haven of our homes, like Brutus said, “all our lives will be bound in shallows and miseries.”  I’m not exactly the “father of faith” like Abram, but I’ve learned that I can share the faith with thousands more through Facebook than I ever could face to face.  The first step is always “the dangerous business of going out your front door.”
             My friends, God invites all of us to “go out our front door” and be swept off to an unknown future.  It’s like the bumper sticker that says: “If God is your co-pilot, switch places!”  In other words, let God be your pilot (not you!) and let him fly you to places you never dreamed.  Every Lent we participate in a sermon series with other Protestant pastors.  On Monday, Rev. Phil Blackburn will preach here at I.C. and later I will preach at Central Presbyterian Church.  Have you ever stepped into a Protestant church and experienced their world of worship?  It’s a lot safer but also shallower to always stay put in your home church.  If you’re a Republican, I dare you to read the speeches of Bill Clinton, they are quite good.  If you’re a “yellow-dog Democrat” pick up the pages of Ronald Reagan, the great communicator.  (A yellow-dog Democrat will vote for a yellow dog before he votes for a Republican!)  Many people never venture outside their political home – it’s dangerous out there!  I will forever be in awe of my parents who not only walked out their front door, but out of their home country to an unknown future.  What great faith it takes to leave your family and friends and especially Indian food (!) to start a new life: talk about being a father and mother of faith!  My parents have never read Shakespeare, but they know better than Brutus that “there is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood leads on to fortune.”  We three children have inherited that fortune.  Many husbands and wives fight and argue and sometimes divorce because neither one will step outside their front door, outside their own perspective, and see things from their spouse’s point of view.  That could be dangerous.  How many parents a
nd teenagers argue because neither wants to step foot into the other’s wild world?  If we choose safety, we also choose shallowness.  It takes a lot of faith to step out your front door.
             Bilbo wisely said: “It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.”  Why is it dangerous?  Because outside you will find orcs, and trolls and Dark Lords, Democrats and Presbyterians, Instagram and Twitter.  But only if we step out that door will we begin the journey of faith, only then will we move over and let God be our pilot.

             Praised be Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment